Closing Out The Year With More Critical Reporting From Journalists We Like To Support
We’re ready to close out the year with more critical reporting from hard-working journalists. But we need your help to fund freelance opportunities for our community of writers.
Funds raised from monthly memberships and reader donations cover our operating expenses and compensate our intrepid reporters fairly for their work.
Reader donations have funded:
- Kevin Gosztola’s reporting trips to Augusta, Georgia, to cover the court proceedings of former NSA contractor Reality Winner
- Jon Walker’s health care analysis and reporting, including pieces on wasteful health care spending and challenges facing the single-payer movement
- Stories on law enforcement practices in Chicago and Berkeley from FOIA documents obtained by Will Pierce and Camille Fassett
- Coverage of how menstruation is used to punish and humiliate incarcerated women and female visitors, by Lauren Gill
- Michael Sainato’s coverage of community resistance to Amazon facilities and the prosecution of indigenous activist Chase Iron Eyes
At Shadowproof, we strive to make a difficult media environment for independent journalists easier. Freelancers are shown the dignity and respect they deserve from the very moment they pitch us stories.
We work with journalists in ways that fairly value their contributions. As reports are developed for publication, we do not race to get pieces posted without regard for what was submitted. We spend a significant amount of time on edits and revisions to greatly enhance their work and alleviate some of the burden other outlets may put on them.
The present political climate, which fosters cynicism and powerlessness, makes journalism that fuels resistance even more crucial.
Check out all of our reader-funded freelance reporting in our Features section.
Thank you for reading Shadowproof and for supporting our work however you can.