This page is and always will be a work-in-progress. If there’s something missing that you think should be included, please contact me.
- NYC Board of Correction votes to approve new rules for solitary confinement. Jan 13, 2015, by @aintacrow
- Nell Bernstein & others discuss the end of juvenile incarceration. Jan 14, 2015, by @bsonenstein
Recommended Books & Reading Lists
- Slavery By Another Name by Douglas Blackmon
- Burning Down the House by Nell Bernstein
- Are Prisons Obsolete? by Dr. Angela Davis
- The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
- Assata: An Autobiography by Assata Shakur
- Locked Down, Locked Out by Maya Schenwar
- Abolition Democracy by Dr. Angela Davis
- Twice the Work of Free Labor by Alex Lichtenstein
- Worse than Slavery by David M Oshinsky
- Resistance Behind Bars by Victoria Law
- Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson by George Jackson
- The Toughest Beat by Joshua Page
- Essential Prison Industrial Complex Reading List (via usprisonculture.com)
Essays & Investigative Journalism
- Against Carceral Feminism by Victoria Law
- Profiting from Prisoners, Center for Public Integrity.
- Life Cycles of Inequality, Colorlines.com.
- Private Prison Rap Sheets, the Private Corrections Working Group
- A Reformist In Hell by Sabrina Alli
- “Bipartisan” Criminal Justice Reform: A Misguided Merger by Kay Whitlock and Nancy Heitzeg
- LAPD: Not your model police department by OLAASM
- Alabama’s Prison Problem, AL.com
Research & Studies
- Study: NYC Health Workers’ Ethics Are Compromised in Jails. New York Times / NYC Department of Correction, 4/2015.
- Medical Problems of State and Federal Prisoners and Jail Inmates, 2011-12. Federal Bureau of Justice Statistics, 2/15.
- Where Have All the (White and Hispanic) Inmates Gone? Comparing the Racial Composition of Private and Public Adult Correctional Facilities. Oregon State University, 12/26/14.
- The Dangerous Overuse of Solitary Confinement in the United States. ACLU, 8/2014.
- “Racial Disparities in Incarceration Increase Acceptance of Punitive Policies.” Psychological Science, 8/5/2014.
- “Locked Up & Shipped Away: Interstate Prisoner Transfers and the Private Prison Industry.” Grassroots Leadership, 11/2013.
- “Report of The Sentencing Project to the United Nations Human Rights Committee Regarding Racial Disparities in the United States Criminal Justice System.” SentencingProject.org, 8/2013.
- “Warehoused & Forgotten: Immigrants Trapped in Our Shadow Private Prison Industry.” ACLU, 6/9/2013.
- “Gaming the System: How the Political Strategies of Private Prison Companies Promote Ineffective Incarceration Policies.” Justice Policy Institute, 6/22/2011.
- Prison as a Border: On Gender, Globalization and Punishment. (Angela Davis & Gina Dent)
- Bringing Down the New Jim Crow (radio documentary series)
- Texas Private Prison Map
- GEO Group: Raking in Dough at the Cost of Human Suffering. (video; Brave New Films)
- Prison Inc.: The Secret Industry