Work produced by Shadowproof is driven by the following goals and ideals, which guide us as we strive to produce journalism in the public interest:
- To produce journalism, analysis and commentary relentlessly focused on long-existing and pervasive injustices as well as inappropriate control exerted by institutions of power.
- To develop a support structure to empower talented but struggling and out-of-work journalists.
- To connect journalists, writers and contributors with communities often marginalized and ignored by established media outlets to not only provide a platform but also transform such journalism into an explicit public service.
- To encourage community participation by those at the grassroots level in the daily production of journalistic work with a recognition of the ways in which readers may enhance perspective and impact of stories.
- To create community that goes beyond debilitating cynicism fueled by depravity and corruption in institutions to also celebrate positive acts of resistance and meaningful organizing for social and cultural transformation.
- To demonstrate solidarity with journalists, writers, artists and other members of the creative class, especially those under-privileged, who either dissent or stand up to power in defense of press freedom and freedom of expression, speech, thought, culture and inquiry.