Community

Over Easy: Donald Trump kicked off his campaign for president by screwing up

Donald Trump took the stage yesterday to announce his candidacy for the Republican Party nomination for president. His grand entry was accompanied by the well known rock classic, Rockin in the Free World. Pretty cool music for a grand entry, except for one rather important detail. Neil Young wrote the song and neither Trump nor anyone acting on his behalf bothered to contact him to ask permission to use his song. Just about everyone who knows anything about rock music knows Neil Young wrote the song, so it’s possible that many people who watched Trump’s grand entry may have concluded that Young supports Trump.

They would be wrong, very very wrong. Mashable reports,

According to a statement from his manager, the rocker wasn’t exactly happy about the unauthorized usage, especially by a candidate he doesn’t support. In an email, Young’s manager Elliot Roberts wrote, “Donald Trump was not authorized to use ‘Rockin’ in the Free World’ in his presidential candidacy announcement. Mr. Young, a Canadian citizen, is a supporter of Bernie Sanders for president of the United States of America.”

How very presidential of you, Donald.

Go back to “Go” and do not collect $200.

The Republican Clown Train is just about complete. If only Sarah Palin . . .

On second thought, Nah.

Go Bernie go!

Previous post

Late Night FDL: Wolf Moon

Next post

The Roundup for June 17th, 2015

Frederick Leatherman

Frederick Leatherman

I am a former law professor and felony criminal defense lawyer who practiced in state and federal courts for 30 years specializing in death penalty cases, forensics, and drug cases.

I taught criminal law, criminal procedure, law and forensics, and trial advocacy for three years after retiring from my law practice.

I also co-founded Innocence Project Northwest (IPNW) at the University of Washington School of Law in Seattle and recruited 40 lawyers who agreed to work pro bono, assisted by law students, representing 17 innocent men and women wrongfully convicted of sexually abusing their children in the notorious Wenatchee Sex Ring witch-hunt prosecutions during the mid 90s. All 17 were freed from imprisonment.

45 Comments

1. Binky
    June 17, 2015 at 7:15 am

Irritation: “Clown Train” doesn’t embiggen the “clown car” joke, it neutralizes it. The whole point of the clown car is that there is no *way* there are that many clowns in that car, so when another clown gets out, you shake your head in disbelief, “There are MORE of these fucking clowns?” If twenty clowns get off a train, there’s nothing unusual about the number, and all you’ve got is a joke that these guys are clowns.

2. nyctuber
    June 17, 2015 at 7:27 am

Don’t forget Trump is a disgusting Birther.

3. Frederick Leatherman
    June 17, 2015 at 7:32 am

You’re right, Binky. I hadn’t thought about that.

4. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 7:54 am

Good Morning All!

That moaning sound you heard on the wind when Trump announced was every political cartoonist in America (Along with some foreigners) having a major orgasm. They couldn’t ask for anything more, their jobs are now secure and easy!

And wasn’t it Bachman who ran into trouble last presidential election for using Tom Petty’s American Girl? You’d think someone like Trump would pay more attention to rightsholders!

He’s currently ranking 12th in a field of 16, but while his support is at about 2% was unfavorable rating is 71% putting him WAY behind the rest of the clowns.

To get the GOP nod, you need two things: A sugar daddy and a base of support amongst the tea party types or the religious wacko’s. Trump is his own sugar daddy and his birther stance gives him quite a bit of credibility amongst the Tea Party types.

Boxturtle (He’s a buffoon, but the other candidates ignore him at their peril)

5. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 7:56 am

I think Trump is counting on that for his base of support.

Boxturtle (Along with people who love reality TV)

6. Marion in Savannah
    June 17, 2015 at 7:57 am

Good morning, pups. Today we have Friedman and Bruni. In “None of the Above” TMOW moans about the fact that there are so many presidential candidates and so few daring ideas or trade-offs. Mr. Bruni is also upset. In “The G.O.P.’s Blinkered Contenders” he says the party’s 2016 field raises the question: How can you be forward-looking if you’re backward-acting? Well, Frankie, you can’t. Does that clear up the question for you? It’s a clown car full of mole people.

HERE they are, and

HERE’s Krugman’s blog.

The coffee and tea are ready, and I’ve got a variety of bagels with cream cheese this morning. Trump is a buffoon and is in this because he thinks he can get some free media attention. Charlie Pierce had a delicious piece on his announcement yesterday.

Time for me to get it in gear and finish up the last of the backlog of work I’ve got. (This is from the client I’m about to fire, so I’m not really, really, really excited about doing it…) Have a great day.

7. Marion in Savannah
    June 17, 2015 at 7:59 am

It would appear that were were typing the word “buffoon” simultaneously. You know what they say — great minds think alike!

8. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 8:00 am

Did you see this on the Crawford case?

Boxturtle (The prosecutor locally is under tremendous pressure from both sides)

9. Marion in Savannah
    June 17, 2015 at 8:01 am

In case you missed it, HERE’s Pierce’s piece on The Donald’s announcement. Made me, as the kidz say, LOL.

10. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 8:02 am

You cannot be forward looking and run as a Republican. They want to return us to the Utopia that existed before the 1964 civil rights act. At the latest.

Boxturtle (There are quite a few who would return us to the Dark Ages)

11. oldhippiejan
    June 17, 2015 at 8:04 am

His comments about Hispanics was an insult to anybody with an ounce of humanity. But probably won points with the racists and haters. Nor did he say just how he plans to create all those jobs he talked about. Overall not much better or worse than the rest of the clown car, just a little more bizarre.

12. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 8:04 am

Odd how many minds go to the word “buffoon” when the subject is Trump.

Boxturtle (Maybe it’s the toupee)

13. Marion in Savannah
    June 17, 2015 at 8:06 am

More like the utopia that existed in the 1850s, or earlier. Not having to pick your own cotton was so nice…

14. Alice X
    June 17, 2015 at 8:07 am

I’m not touching this…

15. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 8:09 am

Pierce has got to be a happy man. He’s got all the material he needs for his next two years of columns, he can just go to the beach and phone ’em in!

Boxturtle (I wonder if Ready For Hillary would produce a bunch of “Trump/Palin” buttons…)

16. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 8:21 am

More Bizarre. Yeah, that’s a really good way to put it. He’s got the bizarre vote locked up. As long as Ted Nugent doesn’t announce.

Boxturtle (I think he’s crazier than Sarah)

17. tjbs
    June 17, 2015 at 8:22 am

Good morning all,

Is he buying into Southern construction companies to cash in on his wall ?

Under trump would America look like Atlantic City burned out with glitzy bankrupt casinos ?

OT Walking through the clover sections of the lawn this is the first time I didn’t see a single bee. I’m surrounded by 5 or 6 hundred acres of round-up ready corn . They bring in a tractor trailer tanker of the poison every year. Doubt there could be a connection.

18. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 8:26 am

I’m seeing very very few honey bees. And I live in a neighborhood where competitive lawnscaping is practiced. LOTS of flowers, all the time. But no bees. I’d guess most of the pollination is being done by cabbage butterflys.

Boxturtle (Ask 4 beekeepers what the problem is, you’ll get 5 answers)

19. Molly
    June 17, 2015 at 8:36 am

As Charlie Pierce put it yesterday, Donald Trump Elbows His Way Into the Republican Clown Car. I’m stocking up on popcorn!

Good morning, pups, and thanks for the post, Fred!!

20. Molly
    June 17, 2015 at 8:38 am

Sorry, hadn’t read the comments before I posted my link to Pierce. Great minds…

21. Canyon2
    June 17, 2015 at 8:38 am

Good morning everyone.
    Thank you for the post Frederick, much appreciated.

22. Molly
    June 17, 2015 at 8:43 am

I really don’t think Trump has a toupée, I think it is his own hair in a very bad style. Maybe a comb-over for an increasingly large bald spot. Or maybe not a bald spot, just really thin hair.

23. Alice X
    June 17, 2015 at 8:44 am
  24. Canyon2
    June 17, 2015 at 8:45 am

I think you hit on it BoxTurtle. Trump/Nugent ’16.
    That is about as crazy as 20 Republicans running for President right now.

25. Beverly Lawson
    June 17, 2015 at 8:48 am

Good Morning All, Great post..;) Thanks. Lots of rain yesterday, but this morning less than predicted in this area…we’ll see. Donald has to be nuts…..

26. oldhippiejan
    June 17, 2015 at 8:52 am

Cruz is also way out there. A Cruz/Nugent ticket strikes fear in my heart.

27. oldhippiejan
    June 17, 2015 at 8:54 am

I really think Nugent ought to be on medication or in a padded cell. He should not be running around loose. Most people that threaten the President of the U.S. go to jail.

28. karenjj2
    June 17, 2015 at 8:56 am

thanks, Marion; delighted you gave the link –absolutely fun one to share and the comments are a hoot, too.

29. Canyon2
    June 17, 2015 at 9:00 am

Comedy Hour has already started. Over at Salon the headline is “GOP’s ‘Trump Test’ if the Donald is beating you by the first debate, drop out.”
    And at Crooks and Liars Charles Krauthammer is not thrilled either “Donald Trump, a campaign that is run on Know-Nothing Xenophobia.”
    As Molly said downthread, grab the popcorn. All those critters on the same stage vying for speaking time is going to be hilarious and you just know they will try to talk over one another even if the ground rules prohibit it.

30. Beverly Lawson
    June 17, 2015 at 9:03 am

The Hedges piece is quite a gift….wonder what Trump thinks…..In case he pays any attention.

31. Binky
    June 17, 2015 at 9:07 am

I’m seeing it a lot in liberal blogs: “clown bus” and “clown train.” It just irks me. Now, “Clown Cessna” might work. 🙂

32. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 9:08 am

Trump wouldn’t make it onstage based on the current criteria and poll numbers. However, he might BUY the stage for the purpose of selecting who’s there.

Boxturtle (Kidding aside, I expect him to buy himself a couple polls)

33. Beverly Lawson
    June 17, 2015 at 9:15 am

Part of what is scary about Cruz is that he is oddly really smart….crazy, as well, but smart…imho.

34. Molly
    June 17, 2015 at 9:16 am

I disagree with Hedges’ first paragraph.

I intend to devote no more time to the upcoming presidential elections
    than walking to my local polling station on Election Day, voting for a
    third-party candidate, most likely the Green Party candidate, and going
    home. Any further energy invested in these elections, including
    championing Bernie Sanders’ ill-advised decision to validate the Democratic Party by becoming one of its presidential candidates, is a waste of time.

Voting for the Green Party isn’t a waste of time, but supporting Bernie Sanders, who has to “validate” the Democratic Party to appear in any debates in our currently corrupted political process, and who is already pushing Hillary and other Dems further to the left, is a waste if time?? I call BS on that.

35. Boxturtle
    June 17, 2015 at 9:17 am

Headline at Redstate: THE DONALD is running for President – Laugh until you’re fired.

Boxturtle (Right below the headline: They Laughed At Jesse Ventura Until He Won)

36. Canyon2
    June 17, 2015 at 9:33 am

You are right about that BoxTurtle. After all he is a billionaire and he can do what he wants except take Neil Young’s song.
    I loved that put down of the stupid Donald who thinks he is the greatest man above all.

37. Canyon2
    June 17, 2015 at 9:34 am

Well said Beverly, well said.

38. Alice X
    June 17, 2015 at 9:38 am

I have written on that very thing, though I wouldn’t charaterize Hedges statement as BS. It is his personal prescription.

Sanders raises important points but if he ran as an independent he would be completely marginalized like Nader.

I have a medical test and don’t have time to find and link to my previous comment or redevelope the thinking here. I will come back to see if I can extend this.

This is an interview by Gary Null (scroll down to the youtube window)

What I would call delusional is the thinking that any perceived shift by the corporate candidates is anything more than stagecraft.

They will say anything to get elected.

That should be born out with perfect precision by the treachery of Obama found now with the co-ordinated push for the TTP, TTIP and TiSA.

Something that is quite correctly called a Corporate Coup d’Etat.

Elizabeth Warren was succinct on this.

If you haven’t seen it I recommend this talk by David Malone of the UK Green Party.

Whenever he compares Britain and the US, insert the US and Vietnam or Malaysia.

It is terrifying.

39. oldhippiejan
    June 17, 2015 at 10:07 am

Krauthammer calling Trump a Know-Nothing Xenophobe is sorta like the pot calling the kettle black.

Have a good day. Off to get my hip x-rayed. I’m falling apart.

40. FukTheArmy
    June 17, 2015 at 10:07 am

Leave it to a fuck up candidate to fuck up his roll-out campaign launch.

The Republic party is going to need a bigger klown kar.

41. Canyon2
    June 17, 2015 at 10:28 am

oldhippiejan, good luck with the x-ray and I hope they find nothing wrong with you.

42. Ruth
    June 17, 2015 at 1:49 pm

hi, folks, about to get off to England, will be checking in late tomorrow but a post is up for the morning.

43. Hugh
    June 17, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Vote for any Republican or any Democrat, and you are voting for more of what is killing this country. Our politics looks like a bad reality TV show. Trump was born rich and thinks the rest of us are slackers who need to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps like he had to. It makes no sense, but it doesn’t have to. It only needs to distract. And along those lines, Sanders is no different. A sop for progressives who will evaporate at some point.

44. JClausen
    June 17, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Totally agree Hugh.

Still commenting over at naked capitalism? I appreciate your input.