Community

Over Easy: Monday Science

This was made entirely with coffee rings

This was made entirely with coffee rings

Greetings!

Despite the Japanese Governments best efforts, the youth of Fukushima intend to leave. This is a matter of real concern for the JG, as there simply isn’t enough space if people refuse to live in the contaminated zones.

Fukushima should be declared uninhabitable.

ANNNND here it comes. 800Tbq of cesium isotopes going to hit the US West Coast. No mention is US papers, this link is from China.

The new leak at Fukushima I mentioned last week was caused by a failed hose. That TEPCO knew shouldn’t have been used. And that was bent beyond it’s specifications when laid.

Japan’s first Nuclear restart (at Sendai) will now be delayed until at least August. There is SIGNIFICANT public opposition, enough that if the JG doesn’t get that reactor restarted before the next Sendai local elections, they might have to fight the new mayors.

And the JG plans to end Fukushima business compensation by 2016. The compensation payments are really hurting the JG, more than they’d like to admit.

The Japan Times, which is as cooperative with the JG as the NYT is with ObamaLLP, does a puff piece extolling the low cost of Nuclear power. 100% pure, weapons grade bolognaium.

For you science fiction lovers, they plan to start fuel debris removal in 2021. With technology currently undeveloped.

Benzene is the nastiest chemical in gasoline. Carcinogenic, mutagenic, and poisonous. And so difficult to remove the US has long told the gas companies not to bother. Here’s a low cost catalyst that may do the trick!

Yet another study on the effects of global warming for the Koch’s to attach. This one shows the connection between climate change and extreme weather.

Improved efficiency solar cells. Good. We’re gonna need them.

Tyson says we’ll never have hoverboards.

Boxturtle (Another fantasy shot to hell by basic physics)

Previous post

Late Night FDL: Ship To Wreck

Next post

The Roundup for June 7-8th, 2015

BoxTurtle

BoxTurtle

55 Comments

1. Boxturtle
    June 8, 2015 at 7:51 am

Good Morning All!

It’s currently really nice outside, but today is going to be one of those days of unpredictable weather. Storms all over the place, but maybe not. Some severe, probably. If they happen.

Boxturtle (And yet they pick of fortune tellers for using a crystal ball!)

2. tjbs
    June 8, 2015 at 8:07 am

Good morning all, far and wide.

64 this morning t storms headed this way.

Bid farewell to Butch, the 25 + years daytime barkeep, this weekend. While scattering ashes off the 200′ high rocks the wind picked up blowing back over the crowd that gathered to morn his passing.

3. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 8:11 am

morning, pups, and still waiting for the rain we were supposed to be having last night, just sprinkles now. The solar power ought to be pushed on us, for our own safety, shows how much the corporate sector has our worst interests at heart.

4. Marion in Savannah
    June 8, 2015 at 8:12 am

Good morning, pups. Today we have Blow and Krugman. In “Black Dads Are Doing Best Of All” Mr. Blow tells us that the stereotypes surrounding black men and their families are not borne out by the facts. In “Fighting the Derp” Prof. Krugman says beware those telling you what you want to hear.

HERE they are, and

HERE’s Krugman’s blog.

The coffee and tea are ready, and the biscuits are out of the oven. It’s been a rough few days here in Savannah. A fellow choir member died suddenly on Thursday, and his Requiem Mass is this afternoon. The choir will be there in force, but there’s no telling how we’ll be able to sing. His widow is also a choir member, so this hit doubly hard. He was one of the kindest, most decent people I’ve ever known. We miss him something awful. Have a good day.

5. Boxturtle
    June 8, 2015 at 8:13 am

Farewell Butch! You’ve probably improved more lives than any given psychiatrist. I’ve always thought a barstool and a beer gives much better introspection than a couch and a notepad.

Boxturtle (old bartenders never die, they just get put on ice)

6. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 8:20 am

thanks, Marion, always sad to lose some one who’s been a positive contributor, sorry for all of your loss.
    Blow got it right, all dads usually do the best they can, and dissing them doesn’t help.

7. Chris Maukonen
    June 8, 2015 at 8:21 am

Morning all. Supposed to have had rain last night and more to day. So far just overcast. But radar shows a line of storms headed our way

8. karenjj2
    June 8, 2015 at 8:21 am

Good morning BT and. Firepups.

I’m on phone at firedoglake and I can actually see the comments AND reply!

woot! to the techs! by the way, the very first time I’d seen comments at fdl was on the post proceeding late nite thread early last week. Knew they were gaining on it. Well done!

9. Boxturtle
    June 8, 2015 at 8:28 am

We need a Manhattan Project for renewable energy. Solar could be our savior if we can just figure out how to store the energy for use overnight. The new Tesla batteries could well be that, but we’ll never know until we try.

Boxturtle (Our leaders are pushing the two worst forms of power: Uranium and Carbon)

10. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 8:44 am

Glad you can. I’m impressed, too, it’s easier to do posts now also.

11. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 8:44 am

Same here, and looking for them since last night.

12. June 8, 2015 at 8:48 am

Good morning.

Tyson didn’t exactly shoot another fantasy to hell by basic physics. “Unrealistic” is not equivalent to “shot to hell”.

Jeeze BT, you get your physics research from movie reviews?

Was pretty hot here yesterday and another on the way. Not even summer yet. All the snow below 6000′ essentially gone, normally not so until early July, but this year, late May.

13. June 8, 2015 at 8:50 am

I noticed that the last few Camera Work submissions. Routine now and repeatable, a most essential condition for good software operations.

14. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 8:51 am

Your heat sounds bad for the roses, too. (I visited the wonderful Portland, OR, rose gardens, so lovely.)

15. June 8, 2015 at 9:06 am

I didn’t get to bed until 1 AM and here it is 6 AM and I’ve been up an hour already.

The overnight temp is lower this morning than the last 2 days, so the house is cooler as well.

I better go back to bed for a while yet.

Later……

16. dick_c
    June 8, 2015 at 9:06 am

I’d like to see if others have the same problem I just did. I saw a link to Glen Smith in the Blogroll links and tried to go there. I had much difficulty due to first, my antivirus claiming there was a malware problem (I do not believe there is), then–after I already saw a flash of his content–I’m redirected to an ATT(my ISP) Yahoo page telling me the site doesn’t exist. I was able to refresh and esc quickly and see his site, but then I have to do the same thing on any of his links.

He may have some sort of DNS problem… Is it just me and my ISP, or do others have the same problem? His URL is http://dogcanyon.org/

17. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 9:08 am

Via Marion, Krugman;

‘Thus, if you’re a conservative opposed to a stronger safety net, you should be extra skeptical about claims that health reform is about to crash and burn, especially coming from people who made the same prediction last year and the year before (Obamacare derp runs almost as deep as inflation derp).’

18. Alice X
    June 8, 2015 at 9:19 am

Morning all – threats of rain – I may not need another excuse for putting off yard work. I use all hand tools so as to just chip away – and keep the peace.

Fukishima – who needs the natural world? – we’ve got the internet. /s

19. Beverly Lawson
    June 8, 2015 at 9:22 am

Im so sorry….Sounds like a lovely family. The service sounds lovely. A hard hit, indeed.

20. Beverly Lawson
    June 8, 2015 at 9:26 am

Good Morning All, Ugly police episode in McKinney, TX, against some Black kids….McK. noted as a best place in country to live. Dallas suburb.

21. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 9:30 am

Have been seeing that, and had friends living in McKinney, very exclusive areas of far north suburban Dallas there. Looks like some police who thought their job was to keep kids from having a party.

22. Beverly Lawson
    June 8, 2015 at 9:34 am

And originally a lot of growth = white flight. Quite a few Dallas Cowboys up that way….

23. starrynight
    June 8, 2015 at 9:35 am

what a loss. japan has been a cultural treasure. their organic architecture inspired frank lloyd wright, their wood cuts the impressionist movement. please come live by me

24. Alice X
    June 8, 2015 at 9:37 am

Here is William K Black

On Krugman’s 5/15 column The Fraternity of Failure . Krugman correctly points to the failures of the R’s but doesn’t do the same with the D’s.

Bill Black is my hero, he was a lead prosecutor in the S&L debacle who has been banished for daring to challenge power.

If Krugman actually did the same he would be in Kansas City with Black. Or some other back water.

Obamacare is a bailout of Big Pharma et al on the order of the Bank bailouts.

There are medicines that cost ten of thousands here, but only hundreds in India.

The Ruling Class does not tolerate rebels.

25. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 9:42 am

in this column, Krugman cautions libruls also about listening only to what they like. He’s so often correct, and so little featured by media – where the constantly wrong ‘experts’ are always being brought on.

26. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 9:43 am

True, and Little Elm got that same flow but not so prosperous.

27. Canyon2
    June 8, 2015 at 10:00 am

Good morning everyone.
    Thank you for the post Boxturtle.
    That picture up above is simply amazing.

28. Molly
    June 8, 2015 at 10:01 am

I got a “server not found” error when dogcanyon attempts to load, but the server not found is getallmysocks.tk, which is a tracker that appears to try to load. Googling getallmysocks.tk gets the same error, and I can’t find a real website for “getallmysocks.” I think perhaps there is a problem with Glenn’s website and this tracker is intercepting our attempts to go there.

29. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 10:01 am

I was waiting for some one to say it was accidental, too. (my sense of humor)

30. Molly
    June 8, 2015 at 10:03 am

I’m still trying to figure out what a “coffee ring” is.

31. oldhippiejan
    June 8, 2015 at 10:03 am

Good morning all, running late this morning. Went to pick strawberries and of course as soon as I was just getting started, along came a cloud burst and delayed my picking.
    Just to set an example for the youth intending to leave, maybe the Japanese Government and the owners and stockholders of Tepco, and anyone else involved in this disaster should move into the contaminated area to convince them that it’s perfectly safe.

32. Molly
    June 8, 2015 at 10:05 am

“There are people working on it, and there are working versions of it,
    but hoverboards that cover everywhere? Where you would have taken a
    skateboard? I think that’s unrealistic, and it requires a special under
    surface to support it,” Tyson said.

Sounds pretty shot to hell to me.

33. Boxturtle
    June 8, 2015 at 10:06 am

That’s the ring of coffee that surrounds the base of the coffee cup when the coffee just barely goes over the edge of the cup.

Boxturtle (Males are always blamed for levaing said rings on coffee tables)

34. karenjj2
    June 8, 2015 at 10:06 am

I recall reading that there is a sodium filled cylinder that has storage potential. It’s being attempted in Spain?

while the us persists in destruction, the rest of the globe is working on construction of useful technologies, infrastructure for trade and MUTUALLY beneficial trade.

more than 50% of obomba’s “discretionary budget” is devoted to war and weaponry this year. the rest of the world gets by on 5% preferring to spend on useful infrastructure and manufacturing for domestic use as well as trade.

cold hard fact: 100% of electronics have primarily Chinese manufactured chips and components.

I remember screaming when I heard early in bush juniors’ reign that Intel Corp was going to build (and did) an 8- billion dollar chip manufacturing plant in China. to me, that was and remains the mega “security breech” making anything after that pale in comparison. if I were the manufacturer of chips, why wouldn’t I install backdoors, and access to tv’s audio, and computer/phone audio/video? Not to mention aircraft and ship navigation equipment. where do the components for the aircraft black boxes come from?
    No wonder the Chinese (and expanding BRIcS) will laugh last as the us squanders the people’s wealth on war and sells its land and resources to other Nations including China.

35. Canyon2
    June 8, 2015 at 10:07 am

Marion, I want to echo the feelings of Beverly and Ruth. So sorry for your loss and why is it that the good, “kindest, most decent” folks always die, not fair, just not fair.

36. oldhippiejan
    June 8, 2015 at 10:08 am

I don’t usually see you here in the morning so have never had a chance to convey my thanks for walking me through the steps on how to be “oldhippiejan” again here. I’ve mentioned you with glowing praise on OE, but never knew if you got the message. So thanks, it’s nice to be me again.

37. Canyon2
    June 8, 2015 at 10:11 am

Good morning Molly, I am glad you asked the question and being a male as Boxturtle explained right below, I should have known.

38. Molly
    June 8, 2015 at 10:11 am

“But if you’re a liberal who believes that we should reduce inequality,
    you should similarly be cautious about studies purporting to show that
    inequality is responsible for many of our economic ills, from slow
    growth to financial instability. Those studies might be correct — the
    fact is that there’s less derp on America’s left than there is on the
    right — but you nonetheless need to fight the temptation to let
    political convenience dictate your beliefs.”

39. karenjj2
    June 8, 2015 at 10:14 am

I echo the comments above. A huge loss to his family as well as his choir family.

40. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 10:17 am

have fresh picked strawberries here, just wonderful.

41. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 10:18 am

yep, and more!

42. Ruth
    June 8, 2015 at 10:20 am

Thanks for good company, off to do some flower hunting.

43. oldhippiejan
    June 8, 2015 at 10:24 am

“Somehow I think only subject folks are going to be living in the areas around Fukushima.” Somehow that seems to be the way of the world.
    I love fresh berries,. only now have to clean them.

44. Canyon2
    June 8, 2015 at 10:24 am

Good idea oldhippiejan, but it will never happen as these people are too good and living in those areas is just for us peons.

45. dick_c
    June 8, 2015 at 10:27 am

You’re welcome! I’m glad you’re you, too.

46. oldhippiejan
    June 8, 2015 at 10:28 am

Good morning Canyon2. No it will never happen for the reasons you mentioned. I just mentioned to Ruth, that seems to be the way of the world. Either you’re one of “them” or you just don’t matter.

47. dick_c
    June 8, 2015 at 10:29 am

That’s what i was getting. His host can probably fix it.

48. karenjj2
    June 8, 2015 at 10:30 am

Spoke too soon… LOL lost comments on fdl thread. Also some glitches with my replies above via disqus; BUT, amazingly, when I click reply after exit, reload comments via disqus, the text I’ve hunt ‘n pecked is still there!
    when you consider ” all the moving parts” that the techs are juggling, awesome barely describes their work. Very pleased they are continuing to refine the fdl-disqus comment merge. once that is successful, they may be able to teach disqus techs how to time and date stamp comments. ;o)

49. Alice X
    June 8, 2015 at 10:31 am

What is meant by derp?

50. Canyon2
    June 8, 2015 at 10:33 am

Well said, oldhippiejan, well said.

51. karenjj2
    June 8, 2015 at 10:46 am

I was so disheartened by the steady change from 2001’s National Public Radio to Propaganda with 2 to 1 thugs vs dims, then all thugs, and now Koch bros and Peterson’s “institutes” as expert authorities. I gave up listening on weekdays the end of last year and have noticed that commercials have crept in on the programs I occasionally catch.

very sad, but with public funds cut to 5%, not unexpected.

52. June 8, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Sounding unrealistic is not unassailable proof. However, I will grant that sounding unrealistic and shot to hell are reasonable talking points. There have been lots of those that have bitten the dust, in both directions.. “Bitten the dust” is my contribution to scientific expressions. Or not bitten the dust, as the case may be.

Then there is “Surely you must be joking” as a scientific expression.

“Schrodinger’s Cat”. Realistic at it’s inception?
    …he intended the example to illustrate the absurdity of the existing view of quantum mechanics……

Turned out it wasn’t absurd. Went on to be the …”thought experiment remains a defining touchstone for modern interpretations of quantum mechanics.”
    -Op cit

53. Beverly Lawson
    June 8, 2015 at 6:39 pm

I sent a LTE for McK paper. Wanted to add my voice….The coverage notes that the caller-woman was concerned about noise….Is noise at a public pool an unusual thing? Pretty normal in “my day”.

54. Molly
    June 8, 2015 at 6:50 pm

In case you stop back, here’s the definition from Krugman:
    “Derp” is a term borrowed from the cartoon “South Park” that has
    achieved wide currency among people I talk to, because it’s useful
    shorthand for an all-too-obvious feature of the modern intellectual
    landscape: people who keep saying the same thing no matter how much
    evidence accumulates that it’s completely wrong.”

55. Alice X
    June 8, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Hi Molly

Thank you, I did find that in an Alternet copy from Krugman.

I don’t watch any TV and I don’t have any friends that do.

This is exactly the topic of the Bill Black link that you can see below.

His position is that Krugman faults the R’s for failing up but not the D’s.

None of the principle main stream economists on either side use ‘f’ word as in fraud. Stiglitz won’t do it Krugman doesn’t. James Galbraith and William Black are all over it. Two brilliant people banished to the hinterlands.

Larry Summers was one of the smartest people in the room. He was instrumental in a number of catastrophic policy positions, including the repeal of Glass-Steagal and the Commodies Futures Trading Act with forbade State Bucket Shop laws dating back to 1907.

Colossal failures yet Obama took him onboard first thing. He would be the head the Fed were it not for such outraged push back.

I don’t know how Krugman pushes on that, but that is Bill Black’s point.

I will need to read both pieces again.