ArtsCommunity

Over Easy; Placeholder

Pheasant just released yesterday by PA game commission.

Pheasant just released yesterday by PA game commission.

As there isn’t an Over Easy yet, I’ll put this up just for folks to meet and share things here with.

This from Halifax, Nova Scotia;

‘5. Marathon

Twelve thousand people will run through the streets of Halifax this weekend, all wearing shirts glorifying the $48 NSF fee charged by a bank and carrying the news of the defeat of the Persians. There will be lots of street closures.’

Previous post

Late Night FDL: Heart of The Sunrise

Next post

The Roundup for May 14th, 2015

Ruth Calvo

Ruth Calvo

I've blogged at The Seminal for about two years, was at cabdrollery for around three. I live in N.TX., worked for Sen.Yarborough of TX after graduation from Wellesley, went on to receive award in playwriting, served on MD Arts Council after award, then managed a few campaigns in MD and served as assistant to a member of the MD House for several years, have worked in legal offices and written for magazines, now am retired but addicted to politics, and join gladly in promoting liberals and liberal policies.

26 Comments

1. Ruth
    May 15, 2015 at 8:13 am

Morning, folks, I’m seeing that near Crane Station there is massive flooding, and the Hagerman Wildlife Refuge has had to close the Visitors’ Center there for the weekend, also roads are under water. I am hoping she can get through all this easily.
    All in all, it’s nicer than the drought.

2. Beverly Lawson
    May 15, 2015 at 8:16 am

Thanks….I had sent note to Crane about the Boston trial…..had not heard her flooding news. But we have had a lot of rain here with forecast same for thru next week. Hope they are OK. Thanks for her news and for getting us started.

3. Ruth
    May 15, 2015 at 8:21 am

Since she gets off to work early, she probably had some time problem, so when nothing came up I threw this into the works. It’s not hard to find something interesting for folks to get started on.

4. Alice X
    May 15, 2015 at 8:22 am

Morning – haven’t had enough coffee to write much.

Yves had this in the links yesterday:

5 Big Banks Expected to Plead Guilty to Felony Charges, but Punishments May Be Tempered

I should have included Yves typically insightful and pithy comment:

But no execs, natch. And the summary is straight Lanny Breuer redux:

As much as prosecutors may want to punish the banks, accused of rigging the price of currencies, they are mindful that too harsh a penalty could imperil the businesses.

Do we give other criminal enterprises a break because we might hurt their business? There are plenty of competitors in the FX market. It’s not as if trading would suffer if these players wound up reducing their footprint.

5. Ruth
    May 15, 2015 at 8:23 am

thanks, yves always worth a read.

6. Ruth
    May 15, 2015 at 8:28 am

Rain is coming early here, so I’m running out to the garden to quickly plant spinach.

7. Marion in Savannah
    May 15, 2015 at 8:31 am

Good morning, pups. Today we have Cohen and Krugman (who takes it to Jeb). In “This Angry Arab Moment” Mr. Cohen says the United States can walk and chew gum in the Middle East, and it should. Prof. Krugman, in “Fraternity of Failure,” says in the modern Republican Party, catastrophic error seems to have become a required credential.

HEREthey are, and

HERE is Krugman’s blog.

The coffee and tea are ready, and I’ve got blueberry pancakes this morning. A lead story in the Times this morning tells us that B. B. King has passed. RIP. Time for me to head out for the weekly grocery shop. Have a great day.

8. Marion in Savannah
    May 15, 2015 at 8:33 am

“Tempered.” I guess that’s how they’re spelling “nonexistent” nowadays…

9. Canyon2
    May 15, 2015 at 8:36 am

Good morning everyone.
    Thank you for the post Ruth. You are extra special in that you take care to make sure things run right here at OE.
    SouthernDragon is looking down smiling at you and very satisfied with what you are doing to carry on his tradition.
    Again, thank you, you are so special and I would say that behind your back too.

10. Canyon2
    May 15, 2015 at 8:42 am

Marion, you said it better than I could but they always seem to skate on any punishments.
    Big money talks for the big bankers. Put a few in jail with these felony counts and maybe, just maybe they would get the message that the government and taxpayers are serious. Until they do that, they will keep going with this BS.
    I truly believe that it is going to take a big dislocation of the market like 1929 for this to happen and major reform to take place and I doubt that I will live to see it as I am in the Autumn of my life.

11. Canyon2
    May 15, 2015 at 8:59 am

I have to leave as school called needing a sub.
    Have a great weekend everyone.

12. Chris Maukonen
    May 15, 2015 at 9:06 am

Oops links not there.

13. oldhippiejan
    May 15, 2015 at 9:36 am

I saw a piece on the early morning news that folks in Seattle are not at all happy about the offshore drilling there and many people have taken their Kayaks out to try and stop it. S’pose the Coast Guard or someone will quickly come to Shell’s rescue and arrest them all. oldhippiejan

14. May 15, 2015 at 9:39 am

Good morning.

Slow today! Temps near avg for today, 50’s to 65F

I thought I read CS lives near Lake Texoma but I can’t find that.

???

15. May 15, 2015 at 9:41 am

Yes they are.

16. Alice X
    May 15, 2015 at 9:49 am

They are protesting Shell’s drilling in the Arctic which the Zero administration just authorized. So much for his hollow claims of being concerned about climate change or the environment

17. Alice X
    May 15, 2015 at 9:51 am

How are your knees?

I did some more yard work yesterday but after two weeks to recover from last time I learned my lesson to go slow. I hope it worked. Last time I was ready for traction.

18. May 15, 2015 at 9:55 am

Good morning Alice X.

I thought I would share with you that I am decided to work on a couple of Brahms Op118 pieces; 2 and 3. #3, the Gm Ballade is quite engergetic and seems to dare the player to push it. Many play it tepidly, note correct but “safe”. #2, the Intermezzo, is transcendent and has passages that, when practiced slowly reveal feelings that get glossed over when played up to speed. My goal is to go for the feeling and maybe slow it down to do so, to linger, if you will, at those points.

Nice when one doesn’t have to answer to critics (or conductors!) and can play for yourself!

Do you know these works?

19. Alice X
    May 15, 2015 at 10:48 am

Good morning Mr Lawrence Starbuck

I have two different editions of Brahms solo piano works, both ancient plates from Schirmer: Mandyczewski and Sauer. I just dug them out of my library in the basement. I have just been de-cluttering the basement in anticipation of the summer retreat there. I only found the Op 118 from Mandyczewski. The last time I poked through that edition I seem to recall finding errors. It has been ages.

I also had unburied my piano which when I last moved twenty five years ago went in the basement. It is a nice Kawai 52″ upright which I played before then quite a bit, but not much after. My playing was never up to snuff for Brahm’s at his toughest.

I have gone through most all of his violin related works.

I will think about those pieces later, although jumping from zero to even half speed on the piano won’t happen any time soon.

Murray Perahia:

20. oldhippiejan
    May 15, 2015 at 12:07 pm

As long as I don’t walk in the morning, they’re not too bad, but I miss my walk. I had a torn miniscus once, it feels a lot like that. If I go on my walk, I have to eat a couple Vicodin, but sometimes I just have to, it’s cathartic to me, helps clear my cluttered head. Thanks for asking. oldhippiejan (I’d completely forgotten I had this on, distracted these day)

21. oldhippiejan
    May 15, 2015 at 12:08 pm

It just sounds pretty Alice, all I’ve come to expect from this administration – pretty words. oldhippiejan

22. May 15, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Thanks. I’m not surprised by your choice of Murray Perahia. He’s one of mine.

I want to refer you to the recording below. I discovered this recording (actually, the full set of OP116 to 119 is what I have, this is the “take” from that recording) while driving home. I was so struck by her playing (I had no idea who it was until it ended) I turned around and raced to my favorite CD store and bought it. At that time, I was working on it myself. (I have a 52″ Kimball upright ca 1927 or so. )

Helene’s version of the Ballade isn’t on Youtube. Too bad she succumbed to this re-issue of the Andante in a rather vapid form, imo anyway. The passage to which I spoke earlier starts at the 1′:52″ point. I play that part even slower and more subdued. But then, I’m no Brahms expert.

23. Ruth
    May 15, 2015 at 12:33 pm

thanks, pups, for stopping in. Just back from planting spinach in the garden and beating the rain, which is in its turn now beating down. All fine, since now I have gotten back from a little errand run and am dry inside.
    Lake Texoma is C-S and Fred’s placemarker! and Hagerman is on that lake, all lovely places but at the moment very wet.

24. Ruth
    May 15, 2015 at 12:43 pm

thanks, I appreciate it and am encouraged, this is a good crew to be with.

25. Ruth
    May 15, 2015 at 12:58 pm

thanks, Marion, love Krugman refusing to let the claim stand, that the lies about DMVs were anything but a creation of the Cheney administration.

26. Beverly Lawson
    May 15, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Death in the Boston trial….so sorry. A death qualified jury, of course.