David Brock Quits Hillary Clinton Super PAC Citing Media Sniping
— POLITICO (@politico) February 10, 2015
Oh irony of ironies. David Brock, founder of Media Matters for America, has suddenly quit a super PAC aligned with Hillary Clinton citing a “malicious attack” planted in the press by members of the super PAC against other pro-Clinton groups. Brock alleges that members of the super PAC Priorities USA Action were behind a story featured in the New York Times concerning questionable fundraising practices by Mary Pat Bonner on behalf of organizations associated with Brock and the group Ready for Hillary. The Times story noted that Bonner received a 12.5% commission on the funds she raised, an outsized and lucrative cut especially given the fundraising goals.
Brock started his political career in the right wing press and furthered conspiracy theories and smears against the Clinton family only to flip and do roughly the same thing on behalf of the Clinton family and Democratic Party. A tried and true technique Brock developed into an art form at Media Matters was sending damaging information or opposition research about perceived political opponents to journalists – much in the way Brock alleges someone at Priorities USA did to Bonner.
In a resignation letter obtained by POLITICO, Brock, a close Clinton ally, accused Priorities officials of planting “an orchestrated political hit job” against his own pro-Clinton groups, American Bridge and Media Matters. Those groups — along with another pro-Clinton group, the super PAC Ready for Hillary — had their fundraising practices called into question last week by a New York Times report. It pointed out that veteran Democratic fundraiser Mary Pat Bonner got a 12.5 percent commission on funds she raised for Brock’s groups and a smaller percentage commission on cash she raised for Ready for Hillary.
In his letter to the co-chairs of Priorities’ board — former Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm and former Obama campaign manager Jim Messina — Brock alleged that “current and former Priorities officials were behind this specious and malicious attack on the integrity of these critical organizations.”
Well, he would certainly know what a hit job looks like. Though it should be noted Priorities USA spokesman Peter Kauffmann said the super PAC was not behind the Times story (for whatever that’s worth).
Brock said he would consider returning to the board of Priorities USA and Granholm said she and others at Priorities USA would look into Brock’s accusations though it remains to be seen if those jockeying for position in the Hillary Clinton 2016 campaign (and ancillary organizations) can get along or whether the real 2016 Democratic primary is within Team Clinton itself.