Sunday Food: Chocolate Soup
(Picture courtesy of Sara AlMutawa at flickr.com.)
Chocolate soup is suggested as the happy ending to your dinner/main meal on February 14th, and that does seem like a good way to place it.
For the soup:
1 cup of whole milk
1 cup of half-and-half
1/3 cup fat-free sweetened condensed milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or 6 ounces bar chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons cold water
For the topping
2 ounces low-fat cream cheese
3 heaping tablespoons marshmallow creme
For the soup:
1. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the milk, half-and-half, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract. Bring the mixture to a bubble.
2. Reduce heat to low and add the chocolate.
3. Let stand for 1 minute, then whisk until the chocolate starts to melt.
4. Combine the cornstarch and water with a fork or small whisk.
5. Add this mixture a little at a time, whisking constantly until the soup is thick and smooth. You’ll know it’s ready when the bubbles are gone and the chocolate has thickened; this takes about 5 to 7 minutes.
6. Carefully pour into two bowls and garnish.
For the topping:
1. Microwave the cream cheese at 10-second intervals or until it can be stirred smooth.
2. Add marshmallow creme to the cream cheese and mix well.
3. Dollop on top of soup, or transfer mixture to a pastry bag and pipe design.
My all time favorite Valentine is still a card reading; “Five pounds of chocolate has been eaten in your honor”. I’m working on doing it without getting awfully sick.
Sip away, and hope your day is full of lovely things.