Containerization is the process by which the cargo transport is taken into action. This is done by containers.So it is necessary to know the important information about the container transportation. The transportation is done actually by shipping containers and ISO containers which are made of weather proof steel to make safe the items to be transported. In this article you are going to make yourself informed about the process of container transportation.
The Basic Features of the Containers:
The containers which are used to transport goods within a territory or outside the country have some basic features.
- The containers are made of weather proof steel so that rain or sun cannot affect your items
- They are in different sizes
- The common shape of the containers are rectangular
- The containers can be transported by ship, rail or semi-trailer trucks.
- They are handled mainly by machines such as cranes.
- The container transportation is carried out by giving computerized tracking number on them.
History of Containerization:
Before the World War II the cargo transportation was done manually, by break bulk cargo or general cargo. After 1950s the world got the advancement of industry which made the containerization to be executed. The cost of transportation reduced drastically by changing the manual cargo shipment into automatic. This container transportation also has caused the reduction of the congestion in busy ports.
A freight container is strong shipping equipment which is suitable to make shipment, storage, and used to transport cargo.According to ISO 668:1995(E), shipping container is the transport equipment which is:
- Of a durable element and strong enough to use repeatedly.
- It is designed such a way that the transportation may be carried out by different mode of transport.
- Fitted with devices which are used to facilitate the mode of transportation
- The containers are designed to make the filling and emptying easy.
- The minimum internal volume must be 1 cubic meter.
Sizes of Container:
The most preferable sizes of the containers 20 feet and 40 feet boxes in the shipping world. The longer container vans are now becoming more popular than the shorter, but most of the professionals like to use the general size of containers.
Container Types in Transportation:
Depending on the types of container transportation, the container may be of two types:
- Non standard
The standard containers comply with the International Organization for Standardization and can be used for international transportation, while the other is same in length, with but is different in height. So the non-standard containers cannot be used for international cargo shipment.
According to ISO the standard containers should have the following categories:
- Container for general purposes
- Container to transport bulk items
- Cargo container with name
- Thermal container
- Tank container
- Platform container
- Open top container
Marking in Container Transportation:
In container transportation the containers must be marked on their surface. The mark indicates the requirement, size, instruction, etc. according to the ISO the marking are grouped in the following categories:
- Identification of system
- Size and type of the container
- The mark of operational information.
Hope this article can help you to make acquainted with the cargo shipment and container transportation which will guide you to implement these in your transport business.