Reply to “Should Israel Teach the Holocaust Less?”
David Swanson asks: “Should Israel Teach the Holocaust Less?” The Nazi holocaust is a key historical event that demands to be taught to future generations. The problem is that it is usually taught in Israel and the West, more generally, in a very distorted manner as non-debatable dogma to support a particular ideological agenda.
For some insight into this, it may be helpful to consider some remarks from Norman G. Finkelstein. In Beyond Chutzpah (p. 85) he writes:
Wrapping themselves in the mantle of The Holocaust … Jewish elites pretend—and, in their own solipsistic universe, perhaps imagine themselves—to be victims, dismissing any and all criticism as manifestations of “anti-Semitism.” And, from this lethal brew of formidable power, chauvinistic arrogance, feigned (or imagined) victimhood, and Holocaust-immunity to criticism has sprung a terrifying recklessness and ruthlessness on the part of American Jewish elites. Alongside Israel, they are the main fomenters of anti-Semitism in the world today.
In The Holocaust Industry, (p. 3) Finkelstein argues:
“The Holocaust” is an ideological representation of the Nazi holocaust. Like most ideologies, it bears a connection, if tenuous, with reality. The Holocaust is not an arbitrary but rather an internally coherent construct. Its central dogmas sustain significant political and class interests. Indeed, The Holocaust has proven to be an indispensable ideological weapon. Through its deployment, one of the world’s most formidable military powers, with a horrendous human rights record, has cast itself as a “victim” state, and the most successful ethnic group in the United States has likewise acquired victim status. Considerable benefits accrue to this specious victimhood–in particular, immunity to criticism, however justified.
In Britain, holocaust curriculum, via “Emotional engagement”, has also proven useful in inducing Muslim students to adopt a Zionist perspective.
In closing, here are Israeli journalist Shraga Elam’s nine commandments of the “Holocaust Religion” :
- Remember what Amalek has done to thee!
- Thou shall never compare The Holocaust with any other Genocide!
- Thou shall never compare the Nazi crimes with those of Israel!
- Thou shall never doubt the number of 6 million Jewish victims!
- Thou shall never doubt the Nazi Judeocide!
- Thou shall never doubt the right of Israel to exist as the Jewish state!
- Thou shall not criticize the leading Jewish organizations and the Israeli government!
- Thou must never criticize Jewish organizations and the Zionist leadership for abandoning the European Jewry in the Nazi era!
- Thou shall not doubt the central Role of Hitler in the industrialization of the extermination of the Jews!