Saturday Art: A Tribute to Paintings We’ll Never See
The artworks now being recovered are featured on some of these links, but not yet in the public domain.
(Picture not of painting confiscated by Nazis, another work of Kandinsky, courtesy of public domain in Russia according to article 1256 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation at wikipedia commons.)
There are many paintings that have been recovered lately that had been snatched by the Nazi government. Some will never be seen, because after being labeled degenerate, they were destroyed.
In April, a painting will go on display in Naples, FL, that has a Nazi stamp on it, indicating it was confiscated but somehow saved and passed down to us.
The Gallery on Fifth – located in Mercato – has a unique Wassily Kandinky painting from the 1930’s on display with what appears to be a Nazi stamp on the back of it.
“I think the stamp is the best province for any piece of art. I was in shock, being Russian and being very fond of paintings of Kandinsky. I couldn’t believe it and then I started to turn the painting back and forth and then on the back, I saw the stamp and said it’s really real,” says Arkhangelskaya.
Often called the “father of abstract art” – the Russian artist lived in Germany before he was forced out by World War II.
“Because obviously in the conditions of Nazis, Kandinsky’s free creation and free expression of art was quite difficult to do and he disagreed strongly obviously with the politics and policies of Nazis,” Arkhangelskaya said.
Kandinsky had many of his paintings ripped off, as did Chagall and several modernist painters. Many of their works are gone, but gradually some are turning back up.
Now lost treasures can be viewed by the public and reclamation begin, on a site put up by some one found to possess them.
Cornelius Gurlitt, the elderly collector at the centre of a massive German seizure of art, is in negotiations with six claimants seeking treasures stolen by the Nazis.
Lawyer Hannes Hartung said the claims cover about 40 pieces of the more than 1,400 works authorities confiscated from the collector.
Meanwhile, Gurlitt’s lawyers have unveiled a new website that presents the octogenarian art collector’s side of the story and includes a form for any more potential claimants to contact them regarding disputed pieces in his vast collection.“With this informational site, we want to make clear that we are willing to engage in dialog with the public and any potential claimants,” Stephan Holzinger, a spokesman for Gurlitt, said in a statement.
Hopefully someday much of the art that was deemed by heartless monsters not worthy of their concept of humanity will add to our world a luster they tried to destroy.