Fatal(?) Defects in ExposeTheTpp.org (TPP = Economic Treason) – ‘The Plutocrats are Laughing at You’, #4
Backdrop: I’ve long been fascinated and dismayed (less fascinated, these last few years; more dismayed) about how ineffective activists are when opposing plutocratic agendas. And, it has occurred to me that the plutocrats probably view hapless activists with condescension, if not ridicule.
What is important, of course, is not whether a group of people are laughing at you, or not, but rather do they have any justification for their condescension, or not? Are activists setting themselves up for failure, or not? If so, is their incompetence readily discerned by the plutocratic class, or not? (If it is, that implies that the activists could learn to become strategically competent, comparitively easily.)
I believe the plutocratic class most certainly does have justification for their condescension wrt activists – they are whupping your asses, to put it bluntly – and hope that people will be sufficiently goaded by this ‘revelation’ to do whatever is necessary to not be strategic fools, no matter how well intentioned they may be. Good intentions and being a clever, resourceful political “guerrilla” are two different things. (“Guerrilla war” being my favored analogy for the struggle with the plutocratic class.)
On July 29, 2013, FDL carried a diary called Exposed: Stratfor’s 3-Step Plan To Conquer & Divide Activists which contained this quote:
Duchin and Mongoven were ruthless, and I think they were often amused by the naivete, egotism, antics and failures of activists they routinely fooled and defeated. Ultimately, this is war, and the best warriors will win.”
Whether their “amusement” rises to the level of audible laughter is also irrelevant. what is important is: are American activists ‘easy marks’, or not? Are they strategically foolish, or not?
Sorry, no time to write a polished diary…. If I make any errors (due to lack of research), feel free to point them out.
I took a somewhat hurried look at ExposetheTpp.org, inspired by a quoted description of Lori Wallach on prn.fm’s page containing her interview by Gary Null as “the Trade Debate’s Guerrilla Warrior”.
Guerrilla Warfare is my favorite analogy for the class struggle going on, that America’s 99% are losing badly. I HOPED that that description accurately described ExposeTheTpp.org. Alas, ExposeTheTpp.org does not rise to that level, IMNSHO.
First, Some Good Points
(The gold standard, so far, and so far as I know, for a website facilitating activism is local.350.org. So, you too, gentle reader, can have a ‘tangible’ aid in determining, for yourself, if ExposeTheTpp.org is optimal, by comparing it to local.350.org, and seeing for yourself where it falls short. See also the ‘mobilization’ techniques implemented by the ‘kony 2012’ folks. )
- Prominent and Ubiquitous (in the case of Facebook) integration with social media
- Facilitates Individuals at a local level. (See the Take Action page)
Secondly, the Ranked Defects
- No electoral threats, and no methodology for attempting to exercize a credible electoral threat. (For an outline of a methodology, startable with no budget by a single individual, see my diary Twisting Your Congress Critters’ Arm – A Goldilocks’-Sized First Step In Domination by the Electorate (Short Version)
- Other than the obvious main goal, there is no explication of reasonable sub-goals, much less maintaining metrics to objectively perform “mental contrasting” (see the book 9 Things Successful People Do Differently)
- No use of most aspects of anti-GMO movement. (See my diaries that I mentioned above.)
- No (or insufficient) call to inject memes more aggressively (implying face-to-face, not internet interaction), e.g. at public sidewalks next to schools, at stoplights (where local cops will allow), etc.
- No use of more incendiary, but accurate (and thus honest) rhetoric (“TPP = Economic Treason”, e.g.)
- NO AVAILABILTIY OF FREE, DOWNLOADABLE FLYERS! This is in caps because it’s a slam dunk that local.350.org gets right, and should have been anticipated by ExposeTheTpp.org! They tell you to “create a flyer”, but why should you have to??? They should provide templates that you can localize with your event and contact info.
- No use of meetup.com. Beppe Grillo was smart enough to use meetup.com to grow a reform movement with SIGNIFICANT electoral success, in Italy. The #1 category of meetup.com group is stay-at-home-moms. Well, it looks like the Democrats were smart enough to take notice, because momsrising.org, which seems 90% credible (based on my quick perusal), nevertheless uncritically supports Obamacare.
- No Forum, for disjointed locals to compare notes
- No requirement that people who donate a picture of themselves, which a slogan written on their hands, do ANYTHING more significant (feel good, accomplish nothing activism, anybody?)