Good morning folks.
Government Shutdown, Day 16
– Just one day until the government defaults…
– However, voting will soon begin to extend debt ceiling until February, open the government until January and allow a bipartisan group of individuals on some sort of deal.
– Senate passes bill 81 to 18 as it goes to the House now
– Heritage Action CEO Michael Needham: “Well, everybody knows that we’re not going to be able to repeal this [Obamacare] law until 2017, and that we have to win the Senate and win the White House.” This occurs when less than sixty seconds earlier he stated this shutdown was to repeal Obamacare.
– North Carolina is the first state to cut off welfare to families in need
– Throwing a wretch in our justice system
– John McCain: “Republicans have to understand we have lost this battle”
– Rep. Mick Mulvaney (R-SC): “We lost. That’s it.”
– “Calling the busted cylinder a national hero, sources confirmed Wednesday that a sewer pipe in the U.S. Capitol building valiantly burst open, pouring more than 1.5 million gallons of raw sewage into Congress and flooding the Senate and House of Representatives with human excrement, sludge, and wastewater.”
– 21 people have been killed in Syria in a minibus explosion.
– “A bomb has ripped through a crowd of Sunni worshippers coming out of a mosque in northern Iraq after prayers at the start of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Adha, killing 12 people and wounding 24, a police official has said.”
– “World powers and Iran have had “their most detailed talks ever” on Iran’s nuclear programme, the EU’s top foreign policy official Catherine Ashton says.”
– Iran is hinting at giving “significant concessions” in the discussions.
– “In addition to ten pistols, police find Nazi flags, military uniforms, statutes, Hitler portraits, Nazi helmets, swastikas and other items in a specially designed room in fugitive Greek businessman Anasatios Pallis’ villa”
– A probe is being called into Golden Dawn’s relationship with the police & secret service as Parliament strips six Golden Dawn MPs of their immunity
– “Thirteen people to face charges of breaching the peace after the dawn raid by riot police, ending a 40-day sit-in at the regional government offices in Halkida, [Greece]”
– Great to hear. Shouldn’t rest at all in peace. “The funeral in Italy of Nazi war criminal Erich Priebke has been called off amid clashes outside the church between sympathisers and anti-fascist protesters.”
– “A provincial law minister and at least seven other people have been killed in a bombing in north-west Pakistan during the Muslim festival of Eid al-Adha.”
– “Wearing black clothing, scarves and ski masks, so-called “Black Bloc” anarchists have taken a starring role in Brazil’s social unrest, using violent tactics to target symbols of capitalism.” [cont’d.]
Photo by Bob Jagendorf under Creative Commons license