– Obama offers “support to Kenya” as the FBI sets to investigate the ties to American civilians with the terror group in the attack on the mall.
– Senators call for Obama to still act tough over Iran for no reason at all.
– The Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt, once in power, is now banned based on an Egyptian court’s ruling.
– Jim White at emptywheel.net has a great piece on Afghanistan, security and what has been a result of 12 years of learning nothing by the US.
– Despite positive reactions to Pope Francis’ words, there is still a problem with the Vatican contradicting what he feels.
– Nadezhda Tolokonnikova, a member of Pussy Riot, has declared a hunger strike while in jail to protest conditions there. Here’s Sara’s take.
– Sudan, which has avoided an “Arab Spring”, had police officers firing “tear gas on demonstrators protesting” numerous problems with their government from corruption to fuel subsidies.
– Chrysler, the Detroit automaker, is preparing for its IPO. Here’s the interesting part: “The shares that will be sold are owned by a United Auto Workers-run trust that pays the health care costs for around 130,000 blue-collar Chrysler retirees. The trust currently owns a 41.5 percent stake in Chrysler, and will get all of the proceeds from the sale if it goes forward.”
– In other news, “General Motors Co (GM.N) said on Monday it would buy back just under half of its preferred shares held by the United Auto Workers healthcare trust for about $3.2 billion, essentially cutting company costs by financing the deal with lower-cost debt.”
– $6000. That’s how much the average American family pays big business in subsidies…a year.
– Uh-oh, what’s the punishment now? Time out in the corner? “Bank of America Corp heads to trial this week over allegations its Countrywide unit approved deficient home loans in a process called “Hustle”, defrauding Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the U.S. government enterprises that underwrite mortgages.”
– “The program is so secret, so powerful, and so alarming that agents “are instructed to never refer to Hemisphere in any official document,” according to a recently released government PowerPoint slide.” Who is being talked about? The NSA you say? Actually, it’s the DEA. [cont’d.]
Photo by The Henry Ford under Creative Commons license