The Roundup for September 12th, 2013
Good afternoon everyone.
– “The CIA has begun delivering weapons to rebels in Syria, ending months of delay in lethal aid that had been promised by the Obama administration, according to U.S. officials and Syrian figures. The shipments began streaming into the country over the past two weeks, along with separate deliveries by the State Department of vehicles and other gear — a flow of material that marks a major escalation of the U.S. role in Syria’s civil war.” WaPo has the scoop.
– White House Press Secretary Jay Carney remarks that Russia is “isolated and alone” that the rebels used chemical weapons. Also said Obama stands up for human rights. Let’s not get carried away here.
– On the Daily Show last night, Samantha Bee, David Cross and Bob Odenkirk were fantastic on the “Three Stooges” visit to Egypt.
– Looks like Priests might end their celibacy. Discussion seem to be raised about ending, but nothing is official yet.
– “So it seemed Libya’s oil industry had survived intact and wouldn’t be roiling international markets. As recently as April, the country was producing 1.4 million barrels per day, just a bit off its pre-war levels. But now the oil sector is crippled by strikes; its crude exports are down to a trickle; and the country is running out of money to pay civil servants.” Interesting developments.
– The Koch Brothers are buying time for $7 billion. Not literally of course.
Money Matters USA
– Economist Dean Baker has an excellent post about the $15/hour demands by workers and what would happen if it was institute.
– Also, since it wasn’t covered, the economy added 169,000 jobs in the August jobs report. Most were part-time, low wage.
– Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook joins Marissa Meyer of Yahoo! on how the government “blew it” on privacy with the NSA.
– The National Intelligence Service (NIS) in South Korea has been defending the main government against opposition through psychological warfare online.
– Colbert had a riot last night with Barack Obama’s “Footgate” (Seriously?!).
– Totino-Grace High School, a Catholic Minnesota town, has fired their second LBGT teacher.
– A black individual in, you guessed it, Florida was charged for “walking down the wrong side of the road.”
– “An almost completely unknown group with strong ties to the Koch brothers has identified itself as the secret source of almost a quarter of a billion dollars received by conservative political groups in 2012.”
– Harry Reid is “really frightened” over a potential government shutdown. Doesn’t he work in Congress? Also says “anarchists have taken over Congress” but does not know what anarchism mean.
– “World is a Battlefield.” American jihadist apparently killed by members of his own organization in Somalia.
Health, Homelessness & Hunger
– In a move that sums up the food industry, GAO raised warnings over the USDA’s new rules to cut inspectors and raise chickens.
– A fracking bill in California that “undermines existing environmental law and leaves Californians unprotected from fracking and other dangerous and extreme fossil fuel extraction techniques, passed the California Assembly today and will likely head to Governor Brown’s desk after a concurrent vote in the Senate.”
– Students on campus are being investigated for being, well, naked on Welcome Day. Makes for an interesting story.
– What do frogs and NASA have to do with each other? Photobombing apparently.
Photo by yaokcool released under a Creative Commons license.