Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten. Cree Nation Tribal Prophecy
- “For those with the stomach to watch it unfold, Europe’s debt crisis has assumed a sickeningly familiar pattern. It goes like this: European leaders talk. The markets force government borrowing costs higher. European leaders talk again. Repeat.”
- TRNN: “Restructuring Europe – For Whom? The structural reform now being discussed in Europe would mean an even more neoliberal agenda.”
- “Oil and gas production in Norway will be shut down from Tuesday because of a dispute over pensions, a government minister has confirmed.”
- “The City of Oakland is currently debating the possibility of terminating a contract it has with the investment bank Goldman Sachs. The deal in question is called an interest-rate swap, and is a particular type of arrangement that was supposed to save the city money, but instead has resulted in Oakland taxpayers making annual payments of around $4 million to the banking giant.”
- “Egypt’s military chiefs have warned the country’s president, Mohamed Morsi, to respect the constitution as they responded for the first time to a decree from him calling for the restoration of parliament.”
- Robert Fisk: “Yes, the former president of Syria and father of the president regime incumbent is roasting away there, and has been since he died of a heart attack while chatting on the phone to the Lebanese president in 2000.”
- “Myanmar’s opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, 67, has made her historic debut in parliament. AFP reports that Suu Kyi “appeared calm” as she arrived in the capital Naypyidaw to take her seat as an elected politician for the first time.”
- “The real campaign has not even started yet, and already we can barely see the candidates for all the mud that is clinging to them. The barrage of negative political ads is costing millions, souring moods, and, if Gallup is to be believed, doing little to change voters’ minds about their choice for president.”
- Richard Wolff’s Economic Update. Prof William Tabb makes a return visit to the show.
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.