“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.” Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Archbishop of Olinda and Recife, also known as the ‘Bishop of Corum’
- “Greece’s new Prime Minister Antonis Samaras will miss this week’s EU summit while he recovers from eye surgery, according to a government spokesman.”
- “Europe desperately needs a plan to save the euro. The problem is that European leaders have come up with half-a-dozen plans and, as usual, they are deeply divided over which one can prevent the currency’s collapse.”
- “The Muslim Brotherhood’s Mohamed Morsi has officially won Egypt’s presidential election and will be the country’s next president, the electoral commission has announced.”
- Robert Fisk: “Morsi is no revolutionary and not much of a nationalist. The army elite has already laid traps for him.”
- “Turkey has called a meeting of Nato member states to discuss its response to the shooting down of one of its warplanes by Syrian forces on Friday.”
- “The US government is deliberately attempting to prevent Bradley Manning, the alleged source of the massive WikiLeaks trove of state secrets, from receiving a fair trial, the soldier’s lawyer alleges in new court documents.”
- “Staff at the Galapagos National Park in Ecuador say Lonesome George, a giant tortoise believed to be the last of its subspecies, has died.” Rest In Peace, Lonesome George.
- “Thousands of protesters rallied Saturday night for the closure of a ‘inhumane’ complex of canvas prison tents set up by America’s self-styled toughest sheriff.”
- “Honduran Scholars Call on US to Cease Support for Military and Police. Adrienne Pine: 40 Honduran scholars, supported by 300 academics from 29 countries, sent a letter to President Obama demanding the end of U.S. support for Honduran military and police training—and that the war on drugs is not a rationale for supporting a regime that is violently suppressing its own people.”
- “Real Rio Action is on the Streets. Patrick Bond: Rio+20 official meetings a bust as green market mechanisms prove a failure.”
- “Will Ecuador Give Assange Asylum? Ray McGovern: Washington Post threatens Ecuador if Wikileaks founder given asylum.”
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.