“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.” Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Archbishop of Olinda and Recife, also known as the ‘Bishop of Corum’
- “Spain’s economy minister has dismissed talk of it seeking a bailout from the International Monetary Fund (IMF) as ‘senseless’. And the IMF denied that Spain had asked to discuss rescue loans.”
- “The soup kitchen opens at noon but long before then the queues start to form in the hot Athens sun. A couple of streets away from where sardines, red mullet and squid are piled high in the fish market, those down on their luck line up. While elsewhere life goes on seemingly as normal, students, jobless people, single parents and pensioners swallow their pride and wait patiently. They get two meals a day, at midday and 5pm. This is what a depression looks like.”
- “Distressed eurozone countries need more time to hit their deficit reduction targets, the International Monetary Fund warned yesterday.”
- “For the last 24 years James Estep has worked in public education. He has never seen anything like this. The superintendent of Pennsylvania’s Mifflin county school district is wrestling with a multimillion deficit that last year led to him cutting 83 jobs – a fifth of his workforce – and closing a high school and three elementary schools. This year he says there’s more to come. ‘I don’t see the end of this,’ he says.”
- “The US Secretary of State says Russia’s policy toward Syria will contribute to a potential civil war. Hillary Clinton’s comments came after Russia and China renewed opposition to tougher UN Security Council action.”
- “Egypt’s emergency laws, widely used under the rule of ousted President Hosni Mubarak to silence political opponents, have expired for the first time in 31 years, the country’s ruling military council announced on Thursday.”
- TRNN: “Mental Health Movement Resists Chicago Austerity Measures. Chicago Shuts Down 6 of the City’s 12 public mental health centers, moves towards privatization of services.”
- “TRNN: “Bill Black on ‘Career Limiting Gestures.’ Bill Black on being ‘disinvited’ to brief Congress because he might ‘bash the banks’.” Bill Black’s article mentioned in the video is here.
- “In recent Solutions columns on for-profit prisons, Dina Rasor demonstrated how these privatized, formerly government-run institutions, have become home to self-dealing, destructive social behavior and wasted taxpayer money. In the spirit of looking at increasingly privatized institutions, I see similar aspects of the new and growing for-profit college system we are creating in this country.”
- “First, they occupied the factory to get their wages from the bosses that owned the machinery. Then, they occupied their factory to keep the second bosses from shutting down their machinery. And, now, they are on their way to owning and running the machinery.”
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.