“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.” Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Archbishop of Olinda and Recife, also known as the ‘Bishop of Corum’
- TRNN: “Massive Protests Fill the Streets of Madrid. Tens of thousands of Spaniards joined protestors in dozens of other European cities to mark the 1-year anniversary of the “Indignado” movement, and to demand an end to the austerity measures taken in response to the economic crisis (Full report expected tomorrow).”
- “Spain’s ‘indignados’ gathered again in Madrid’s emblematic Puerta del Sol on Sunday to protest against what they claim was excessive violence when riot police cleared the square of a previous demonstration early in the morning.”
- “Europe is braced for a crucial 48 hours of high-stakes summitry likely to decide whether Germany and France can strike a grand bargain aimed at dispelling growing pessimism over the chances of the single currency surviving in its current form.”
- “Greece’s search for a government to prevent the country’s disorderly exit from the euro ended late last night with still no
sign of an agreement.”
- TRNN: “Deep Structural Change Won’t Come from Hollande. Gerard Dumenil: New French President Holland won’t do much to change economic policy but he might make a difference in other spheres.”
- “Newly elected to parliament, the leader of Greece’s Nazi-inspired Golden Dawn party had a chilling message that resonated way beyond the borders of his troubled country.”
- TRNN: “Israeli PM Forms Large Coalition, Police Repress Protest. Leader of Kadima Party Shaul Mofaz joins Prime Minister Netanyahu’s Coalition, effectively crushing opposition and stirring protests.”
- “The Dalai Lama is on high alert after receiving reports that Chinese agents have trained Tibetan women for a mission to assassinate him.”
- “Robert Fisk: Must we stand idly by while world leaders spout this codswallop? Even Churchill told the Empire that Britain would ‘not stand by idly and see Poland trampled'”
- “Shooting targets depicting an apparent likeness to Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black youth shot dead by a self-appointed neighbourhood watchman in Florida, have been sold online, sparking outrage across the US.”
- Smiley & West. Dr West announces that he’s leaving Princeton to take up a gig at Union Theological Seminary of the City of New York. Union Theological Seminary has formed alliances with some organizations representing the poor in New York. They are also said to have formed an alliance with Occupy Wall Street. I think we’ll be seeing a lot more of Brother West in the near future. Paul Krugman’s on a book tour and he talks with Dr West about his new book, End This Depression Now, the subject of this Saturday’s Book Saloon.
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.