“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist.” Dom Hélder Pessoa Câmara, Archbishop of Olinda and Recife, also known as the ‘Bishop of Corum’
- TRNN: “U.S. Electoral System Wallowing in a Sea of Money, Idiocy, and Corruption. Robert McChesney: Corporate media making millions from political ads, then cover ad driven horse race as news.”
- “The French president Nicolas Sarkozy has ruled out any deal with the Front National to give them government jobs or help them win seats in parliament, after he was criticised by political opponents for going too far to court extreme rightwing voters.”
- “François Hollande, the favourite to be the next French President, jumped the gun yesterday, giving what seemed like his first presidential press conference.”
- “An explosion [has] ripped through a building in Syria’s central city of Hama, killing at least 12 people and wounding dozens more, the opposition Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said. The grassroots Local Coordination Committee said security forces fired a rocket at the building on Wednesday and put the death toll much higher, with 54 dead, several of them children.”
- Robert Fisk: “The pictures flash up on a screen on an upper floor of the Fallujah General Hospital. And all at once, Nadhem Shokr al-Hadidi’s administration office becomes a little chamber of horrors. A baby with a hugely deformed mouth. A child with a defect of the spinal cord, material from the spine outside the body. A baby with a terrible, vast Cyclopean eye. Another baby with only half a head, stillborn like the rest, date of birth 17 June, 2009. Yet another picture flicks onto the screen: date of birth 6 July 2009, it shows a tiny child with half a right arm, no left leg, no genitalia.”
- “The unveiling of the first criminal charges in the Gulf of Mexico disaster could force BP to disclose a closely guarded secret – its internal estimate of how much oil actually gushed out of its stricken well.”
- TRNN: Demi’s pal Greg Palast: “BP Blow-out Cover-Up?“
- “As negotiations proceed in Istanbul over Iran’s nuclear program, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu can’t seem to stop harping about the threat posed by the Islamic republic, regardless of the efforts underway to address it.”
- “It’s easy to forget about the Palestinians. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, many analysts believe, is focused on Iran primarily because he wants the world to forget about the Palestinians. If the international community forces Netanyahu to deal with the issue of illegal settlements, the logic goes, he will lose the base of his support on the right. And his re-election would be in jeopardy.”
- Black Agenda Report. Once again I could have linked to all of ’em.
- “The Brazilian Chamber of Deputies has delayed voting on controversial legislation that stipulates how much land farmers must preserve as forest.”
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.