Virtually Speaking: Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday
Talk, unscripted and well worth a listen. We’re shuffling our schedule: the not-yet-completely-settled plan is to run no more that one program a night. But first, from our growing collection of audio commentary on Jay Ackroyd’s You-Tube page: David Cay Johnston, author of Free Lunch and Perfectly Legal – and Jay’s guest this coming Thursday – describes the lifestyle of bus drivers in Sweden. Jay’s point: “income fairness and equality is a good thing and? a good goal.”
Sunday, March 25 through Thursday, March 29: Avedon Carol, Gloria Feldt, Dave Johnston, Mike Elk, Maryn McKenna, Tom Levenson, David Cay Johnston, Culture of Truth, Stuart Zechman and Jay Ackroyd consider politics, policy and science in light of very current events, timely trends and public affairs. Comments and questions courtesy of a digitally present studio audience. Which could include you. (see IRC below) All programs webcast and archived at BlogTalkRadio (BTR). Available free at iTunes. (Search Virtually Speaking and Virtually Speaking Science from the iTunes store.)
Sunday, Mar 25 | 9 pm eastern | 6 am pacific |Virtually Speaking Sundays |Stuart Zechman and Avedon Carol discuss their most recent work and take some inspiration (?) from the Sunday morning talking heads. Plus this week’s Most Ridiculous Moment. Follow @Avedon_Says @Stuart_Zechman @Bobblespeak Listen live and later on BTR
Monday, Mar 26 | 9 pm eastern | 6 am pacific | Re-webcast from the prior week (no call-ins): Gloria Feldt, author of No Excuses, joins Jay Ackroyd to discuss the war on women heating up during the Republican presidential campaign. Follow @GloriaFeldt @JayAckroyd Listen on BTR.
Tuesday, Mar 27 | 9 pm eastern | 6 pm pacific |Virtually Speaking Tuesdays |Dave Johnson maps the forest with investigative journalist and staff writer for In These Times, Mike Elk. They’ll talk about reporting on Labor. Plus the latest Z Files segment from Stuart Zechman. Follow@dcjohnson @MikeElk Listen now and later on BTR
Wednesday, March 28 | 5 pm eastern | 2 pm pacific |Virtually Speaking Science | Tom Levenson talks with Maryn McKenna: author of Superbug and Beating Back the Devil; Wired blogger; SciAm columnist; magazine writer on public health, global health, food policy. Follow @marynmck @TomLevenson @MRSA_blog. Listen live and later on BTR.
Thursday, March 29| Double Header –
8 pm eastern | 5 pm pacific |Virtually Speaking A-Z| This week in liberalism. | Stuart Zechman and Culture of Truth discuss current evens from the perspective of movement liberalism.| Show notes here. Follow @Stuart_Zechman @JayAckroyd Listen live on BTR. Beginning midnight, listen here.
9 pm eastern | 6 pm pacific |Virtually Speaking with Jay Ackroyd | Recorded the prior week to accommodate scheduling. (no call-ins) Jay talks with David Cay Johnston discuss how the regulatory regime in finance is failing American citizens.. Follow @DavidCayJ @JayAckroyd Listen live and later on BTR.
Join the conversation
With Internet Relay Chat (IRC), ask questions, chat live with other listeners. IRC Channel is #VSpeak. Or1. Connect to http://webchat.freenode.net/
2. Create a log-in name
3. Enter #vspeak into the channel field.
4. NOTE: ‘Relay Rinq’ is not a person but a bridge to IRC chat.
5. Type into the text field along the bottom of the screen.
6. Begin your question with ‘QUESTION’ so it’s easy to spot.
• Jay’s VS growing library of Video shorts: What Digby Said, Culture of Truth’s ‘Most Ridiculous Moments’ from the Sunday morning talk shows and the ZFiles.
• Virtually Speaking Sundays| Culture of Truth distills the Sunday morning talk shows with the gratifyingly satirical Bobblespeak Translations.
VSS is a weekly news review and counterpoint to the network opinion shows. Each week, two well regarded bloggers discuss the events of the week, with an emphasis on U.S. politics and policy.
THE VSS MEDIA PANEL
The VS Sunday panel draws from Avedon Carol, Cliff Schecter, Culture of Truth, David Dayen, digby, Joan McCarter, Marcy Wheeler, Stuart Zechman and Susie Madrak. From time to time, the make-up of the panel shifts. Every 5 weeks or so, one of our regular panelists invites a guest to join them.
• Avedon Carol – writes about American politics, captured media, captured government, censorship and health care at The Sideshow. An anti-censorship and civil liberties campaigner, Avedon is a sex crimes researcher, a former health counsellor and member of Feminists Against Censorship. Follow @Avedon_Says
• Cliff Schecter – Veteran campaign strategist, political commentator, consultant and author, Cliff posts frequently at Al-jazeera English and is the author of the best selling The Real McCain: Why Conservatives Don’t Trust Him—And Why Independents Shouldn’t. Libertas LLC is Cliff’s full-spectrum political and corporate communications firm. Follow @cliffschecter
• Culture of Truth – Constitutional lawyer and creator of the Bobblespeak Translations, in which he satirizes the Sunday morning traditional media talk shows. CoT writes and records the weekly ‘Most Ridiculous Thing,’ commentary on the Sunday morning talk shows, for Virtually Speaking Sundays. Follow @Bobblespeak
• David Dayen – writes and reports for the News Desk at FireDogLake. Dave has been writing about state and national issues – including foreclosure fraud, health care policy, the hc insurance industry, and Congress – since 2004. His work has been cited by the LA Times, the New York Times and the Washington Post and he has been a guest on NPR, Pacifica Radio and Air America. Follow @ddayen
• digby – An American political blogger, digby is the founder of and principal contributor to Hullabaloo, She writes and records the weekly What Digby Said for Virtually Speaking, aired on Virtually Speaking A-Z . Follow @digby56
• Joan McCarter – As Senior Policy Editor and regular front page contributor to Daily Kos, Joan tracks national legislative developments. Follow @joanmccarter
• Marcy Wheeler – One of the nation’s leading investigative journalists, working primarily on civil liberties issues, on Emptywheel, Marcy breaks numerous stories related to use of illegal detention and interrogation practices by the US Government. Her Anatomy of Deceit: How the Bush Administration Used the Media to Sell the Iraq War and Out a Spy is the definitive work on the Scooter Libby trial. Follow @emptywheel
• Stuart Zechman – A provocative member of the commentariat, Stuart posts at Avedon’s other blog and, from time to time, TIME’s Swampland, Yves Smith’s Naked Capitalism and the Daily Howler. An entrepreneur and technologist, and a movement liberal, Stuart writes and records the weekly Z-Files for Virtually Speaking, aired on Tuesdays. He is the keeper of the VS A-Z archives Follow @stuart_zechman
• Susie Madrak – Writer, musician, working-class warrior and formerly an Award-winning journalist, Susie writes at Suburban Guerrilla and Crooks and Liars. Follow @susiemadrak
The Tuesday line-up: Spocko and Mike Stark talk about advocacy and activism on the 1st Tuesday of the month; Susie Madrak and a guest consider the impact of current events on working and middle class people on the 2nd Tuesday; Avedon Carol and Correntewire‘s Lambert Strether dissect breaking news and crazy liberalism on the 3rd Tuesday; Dave Johnson maps the forest with a guest on the 4th Tuesday; and Jay Ackroyd and a guest shed light on current insanities of the political and economic kind, on the 5th Tuesday.
Watch/Listen to VS video commentary