The coffee’s freshly ground, there’s a wide variety of teas and the sticky buns are homemade.
- “Standard & Poor’s downgraded Greece’s credit rating from CC to ‘Selective Default’ today, Bloomberg News reported. This makes Greece the first euro-zone member to be officially rated in default, Dow Jones Newswires reported.”
- “The tensions over the Greek bailout may have done severe damage to the relationship between Greece and Germany, as Greeks continued to vent anti-German feelings even as German members of parliament approved the bailout.”
- “Fresh attempts to bring two wounded Western journalists to safety from the Syrian city of Homs have failed, the Red Cross says. Vehicles from the Syrian Red Crescent reached the besieged suburb of Baba Amr, but left without them. Frenchwoman Edith Bouvier apparently would not board the vehicles and other evacuees stayed behind in solidarity.”
- “European foreign ministers have increased the pressure on Syria’s regime to halt its crackdown on opponents, freezing the assets of several Syrian government officials and imposing sanctions on the central bank. They also banned the purchase of gold, precious metals and diamonds from the country, and banned Syrian cargo flights from the European Union.”
- “Millions of Indian workers are expected to join a strike against high inflation and to demand better working conditions and an end to selling off state firms. The strike has the support of most of India’s major trade unions and thousands of smaller unions from across the political spectrum. Banks, transport, post offices and ports are thought most likely to be affected by the industrial action.”
- “On another beach in a different world, Chinasa Paul would be sipping a soft drink bought by his parents. But if the 15-year-old eats today in Lagos, it will be thanks to tips he receives for lugging crates of drinks up and down Kuramo Beach. Unicef will today call for an urgent shift in focus by policy makers neglectful of the needs of millions of children like Chinasa whose number is set to increase as the growth of cities in the developing world becomes one of the pressing issues of our time.”
- “Japan’s postwar prime ministers have never much relished visits to Okinawa, the reluctant host to thousands of US troops. But Yoshihiko Noda’s trip this weekend to the country’s southernmost prefecture could prove even more awkward than usual. Noda will take time off from overseeing Japan’s recovery from the biggest disaster in more than 60 years to try to sell a new base agreement with Washington that could shape the US military footprint on Okinawa for decades to come.”
- “Senior executives at The Sun were accused yesterday of spinning a web of corruption across public life in Britain, channelling hundreds of thousands of pounds towards a network of crooked police and officials.”
A little something to send our Creationist, Intelligent Design, what…everrr, friends screaming from the room. [cont’d]
- “Neanderthals were already on the verge of extinction in Europe by the time modern humans arrived on the scene, a study suggests. DNA analysis suggests most Neanderthals in western Europe died out as early as 50,000 years ago – thousands of years before our own species appeared. A small group of Neanderthals then recolonised parts of Europe, surviving for 10,000 years before vanishing.”
- “New archaeological evidence suggests that America was first discovered by Stone Age people from Europe – 10,000 years before the Siberian-originating ancestors of the American Indians set foot in the New World. A remarkable series of several dozen European-style stone tools, dating back between 19,000 and 26,000 years, have been discovered at six locations along the US east coast.”
- “Why Are GOP Candidates Competing to be the Greatest Friend of Israel? As presidential candidates tout support for Israel, they may be reaching out to right-wing evangelicals more than Jewish voters.”
- “Open letter to the 99%: Time to Make #NoWarWithIran a Top Priority.”
- “The true cost of oil: Garth Lenz.” From TEDx Victoria
Let Your Life Be a Friction to Stop the Machine. If you haven’t already, share this video with others. Come by, bring a friend, see the show, we’ll be here all week.
Tea Party? White Whine Party is more like it.
Proud to be everything the Right Wing hates.
Not a bumper sticker:
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.