Virtually Speaking: June Carbone, Spocko, Mike Stark, Stuart Zechman, Jay Ackroyd
Talk worth listening to. But first, from Jay’s VS video collection. In What Digby Said: CU, Digby observes that people who blame Citizens United for the unseemly SuperPACs are mistaken. The problem runs deeper. What Adelson and Paulson are doing was legal before CU. Excerpted from January 26, 2012 Virtually Speaking A-Z, with Stuart Zechman and Jay Ackroyd
Sunday we bow to the Super Bowl gods and take the day off. Here’s the schedule for Tuesday, Feb 7 through Thursday, Feb 9 with Mike Stark, Spocko, June Carbone, Stuart Zechman and Jay Ackroyd. They consider politics in light of very current events, timely trends and public affairs. VS amplifies – mainly – progressive voices: political analysts, activists, media critics, technologists, historians, etc. Comments and questions courtesy of a digitally present studio audience. Which could include you. (see IRC below) All programs webcast and archived at BlogTalkRadio (BTR). Available free at iTunes. (Search Virtually Speaking from the iTunes store.)
Tuesday, Feb 7 | 9 pm eastern | 6 pm pacific |Virtually Speaking Tuesdays | This week, Spocko and Mike Stark talk about today’s media environment, effective activism, organizing strategies and the power of the 99%. Follow @spockosbrain @mike_stark Listen live and later on BTR
Thursday, Feb 9| Double Header
8 pm eastern | 5 pm pacific |Virtually Speaking A to Z: This week in liberalism. | Stuart Zechman and Jay Ackroyd discuss the present and future of liberalism in a centrist America.| Follow @Stuart_Zechman @JayAckroyd Listen live on BTR. Beginning midnight Friday, listen here.
9 pm eastern | 6 pm pacific |Virtually Speaking with Jay Ackroyd | June Carbone, Edward A. Smith/Missouri Chair of Law, the Constitution and Society at University of Missouri Kansas City . Professor Carbone writes extensively about the legal issues surrounding marriage, divorce and family obligations, especially within the context of the recent revolutions in biotechnology. They’ll discuss Red Families v. Blue Families, co-authored with Naomi Cahn. Follow @JayAckroyd Listen live and later on BTR.
With Internet Relay Chat (IRC), be part of the conversation: ask questions, chat live with other listeners. IRC Channel is #VSpeak. Or
1. Connect to http://webchat.freenode.net/
2. Create a log-in name
3. Enter #vspeak into the channel field.
4. NOTE: ‘Relay Rinq’ is not a person but a bridge to IRC chat.
5. Type into the text field along the bottom of the screen.
6. Begin your question with ‘QUESTION’ so it’s easy to spot.
• Jay’s VS Video shorts including What Digby Said, Culture of Truth’s ‘Most Ridiculous Moments’ from the Sunday morning talk shows and the ZFiles.
• Virtually Speaking Sundays| Can’t bear to watch the Sunday morning talking heads that inspire VS Sundays? Let Culture of Truth boil them down for you with the Bobblespeak Translations. Warning: swallow and put down the hot tea/coffee/cocoa before reading.
The VS Sunday panel draws from Avedon Carol, Cliff Schecter, Culture of Truth, David Dayen, digby, Joan McCarter, Marcy Wheeler, Stuart Zechman and Susie Madrak. From time to time, the make-up of the panel shifts. Also, every 5 weeks or so, one of our regular panelists invites a guest to join them.