Whoa, wait, where are we goin’ and why am I in this handbasket?
- Free Bradley Manning!!! “9am: It’s Day 6 of the Bradley Manning hearing at the Fort Meade army base in Maryland, and it’s the defence’s turn to have its say, writes Dominic Rushe.”
- “Eurozone banks have rushed to take out cheap three-year loans offered by the European Central Bank, borrowing 489bn euros ($643bn; £375bn). The central bank had originally hoped to lend up to 450bn euros to stop another credit crunch crippling the banking system. Over 500 banks raced to borrow from the scheme, which was far beyond market expectations.”
- From Real News: “Banks Holding 1.4 Trillion, Could Create 19 Million Jobs. Bob Pollin: Study looks at impact of 1.4 trillion in excess liquid asset holdings if put in productive investments.” The PERI publications page has a link to the .pdf report referred to. By right clicking the “download” link you can view on your screen rather than downloading.
- “The US says EU plans for an emissions tax on airlines must be dealt with by the international aviation body. It had tried to block European Union plans to levy the emissions tax, saying they were invalid, but the European Court of Justice (ECJ) ruled on Wednesday that they were legal.”
- “The United States Government has taken the unprecedented step of asking scientists to censor key parts of their work describing how they managed to mutate the H5N1 bird flu virus into a strain that could be highly infectious and deadly to humans.”
- “Hugo Chávez’s long-time supporter Noam Chomsky has issued a renewed appeal to the Venezuelan president to free a judge who was controversially jailed two years ago, prompting criticism from human rights activists and academics. Maria Lourdes Afiuni, 48, has been imprisoned since December 2009 and is currently under house arrest in the capital, Caracas.”
- “The Metropolitan police have arrested a 52-year-old female serving police officer over payments from journalists, Scotland Yard has said. The 52-year-old woman, believed to be a royal protection officer, is being held at an Essex police station after detectives arrested her at her home at dawn.”
- More from Real News: “OWS Joins Fight for Migrant Workers Rights. OWS connects struggle for rights of migrant workers with struggle of the 99%.”
- “Syrian security forces are maintaining a heavy presence in the northwestern Idlib province after an offensive on army defectors killed about 250 people, including a large number of civilians, activists say. The Syrian National Council, an umbrella group representing opponents of President Bashar al-Assad’s government, on Wednesday called for “immediate action” by the Arab League and the UN Security Council to condemn and halt what it called “horrific massacres” conducted by Syrian forces in Idlib and other areas.”
Update: Didn’t take long for the Irakis to take matters into their own hands.
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.