The coffee’s freshly ground, there’s a wide selection of teas and the sticky buns are homemade.
- “The collapse of the euro could send the world’s advanced economies into a severe recession, dragging emerging markets with them into the mire, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development warned on Monday.”
- “Rice is responsible for feeding half the world, or more than 3.5 billion people. In other words, rice is important. A tweak to how the grain is grown, sold or eaten can send ripples through the world economy.” GlobalPost takes an in-depth look at rice today with 5 articles.
- “Enthusiastic Egyptians waited patiently in hours-long lines at polling stations for the opportunity to vote in the first free-and-fair, multi-party election in more than three decades.” I don’t think there’s any doubt that Egyptians are fed up with military rule after 30+ years. I would be too, although they’d have probably killed me a long time ago.
- How many years have you been told that Hollywood is full of libruls? Rick Moody of The Guardian dispels the notion with an essay entitled Frank Miller and the rise of cryptofascist Hollywood
- I made up my mind when I decided to do this gig that I was not going to become entangled in the goat rodeo or electoral politics. Our dysfunctional, money-driven political system? That’s another story. Tom Ferguson from UMass and the Roosevelt Institute (about which I have some questions) speaks to Paul Jay of The Real News Network about Democratic Governance is Becoming Discredited. Nothing new here but it’s nice to hear it put so simply.
- Bill Black is very popular among a lot of us here on the Professional Left. He wrote a piece in October, Not with a Bang, but a Whimper: Bank of America’s Death Rattle , that I missed. The site is New Economic Perspectives. Take a look around. If you’re interested in learning about Modern Monetary Theory, there’s a section of the site entitled Modern Money Primer. I thought I could get through life without knowing a lot about economics. Silly me.
Something I should have done yesterday is thank Elliott profusely for putting up with me all weekend while I learned how to get this up on the screen for y’all to see.