As we have seen from the first two years of the Obama Administration’s playbook, they can be very creative. How else could you get the “liberal” media to believe that giving away $800 billion dollars in tax cuts to the rich is a good idea, or that expanding the pie for private health insurance companies is a progressive idea. The Administration’s playbook is so simple yet so creative I can’t believe that other presidents haven’t used it more. For those football fans the Administration is running the spread option offense against a cover 2 defense.
So here is the democrats play, step by step:
- Pretend you are against a conservative corporate government.
- Pretend you are being held hostage by extreme right wing lunatics, even though you hold the majority in every branch.
- Find an extreme conservative corporate policy that gives money to the multi national corporations and which could never get passed with a straight up vote.
- Find some small piece of progressive legislation that can be stripped of funding or voted down in the future. i.e. health insurance subsidies, unemployment benefits.
- Attach policies in step 3 and 4 together and create legislation.
- Hold a vote against the legislation that doesn’t count behind closed doors in the progressive caucus, or even better have the progressive caucus send out a fund raising letter saying they are against the legislation created in step 5.
- Bring the vote to the floor.
So what extreme legislation will be passed next? Personally I don’t think that the administration has completely crushed the public education system to the extent that it wants. Perhaps they will hold Head Start funding hostage by attaching it to legislation that gives vouchers for private schools. This way they will be able to destroy the teachers union and public education for the poor in one bill. How could you be against Head Start fuunding? Cynical, maybe but could you have imagined that we would be giving tax cuts to billionaires and expanding private health insurance with a democratic congress and president? Put any crappy piece of legislation on the table and see if they can’t get it passed.