Book Salon Preview: 538 Ways to Live, Work, and Play Like a Liberal
Sunday, August 1, 2010 5:00pm ET, over at FDL.
There are hundreds of ways to lead a more environmentally friendly, socially conscious, and liberally minded life—ways that can even be enjoyable. What readers will find in this friendly inclusive book are simple steps, lifestyle adjustments, and ideas that entertain:
- Watching MSNBC instead of Fox News
- Powering a laptop with a solar–power–generating backpack
- Wearing the flag with pride
- Progressive financial investmen
- Where and how to find a like-minded mate
- Supporting liberal businesses
- Embracing a political conversation with a relative rather than avoiding it
- Bringing independent films to the local movie theater
- Start a Drinking Liberally chapter and try some of the group’s signature drinks
- Discover how television-watching habits shape the media landscape
Justin Krebs explains that being liberal, or progressive, isn’t only a political act—it’s a lifestyle that’s suited to our changing America.
Justin Krebs co-founded and serves as an executive director of Living Liberally, a national network of social gatherings around progressive politics. He is one of the founding directors of the non-profit venue, The Tank, in Manhattan, and a contributor to the progressive blog, OpenLeft. His work as a political entrepreneur and organizer has included managing a citywide advocacy campaign, writing a history of New York City’s playgrounds, and serving in the office of U.S. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton. He’s a New Jersey native and lives in New York City. (Barnes & Noble)