Well, the audio for KPCC‘s AirTalk broadcast regarding Mike Penner’s passing is up. Patricia Wojdowski and I were on with host Larry Mantle this morning (November 30, 2009). The producer, Karen Fritsche, was as a gracious, kind, and thoughtful a point of contact for the show as could be.
Here’s the explanatory text for the approximately 30-minute long audio, from the segment they entitled Transgender sportswriter Mike Penner dies:
LA Times sportswriter Mike Penner was found dead over the weekend, having apparently committed suicide. Penner changed his gender identification in 2007 and began living and writing as Christine Daniels. Later detransitioning, he reassumed Mike Penner’s gender and byline. Did gender trouble prompt his suicide? What unique challenges do transgender people face in their professional and personal lives?
Autumn Sandeen, New Media Reporter for Pam’s House Blend
Patricia Wojdowski, Licensed Clinical Social Worker, specializing in therapy for gender variant individuals and couples. For more info, visit: GenderCounseling.com
Further, Recommended Reading:
* Amanda Hess at the Washington City Paper: Should We Remember Mike Penner or Christine Daniels?
* Ina Fried at The NLGJA React Blog: Remembering both Christine Daniels and Mike Penner
* Thinking About Mike Penner; Thinking Again About Detransition
* Mike Penner (f.k.a. Christine Daniels) Dead Of Apparent Suicide
* Christine Daniels Retransitioning Back To Mike Penner
* LA Times’ Penner: “I am a transsexual sportswriter.”
* Check out LA Times sportwriter Christine Daniels’ transition blog (Autumn note: The blog has been removed from the L.A. Times website.)