What Else Is Hidden on the Dark Side of the Moon?
“The argument that the moon is a dry, desolate place no longer holds water,” reads the first line of NASA’s announcement that water was discovered in the agency’s recent crash-a-rocket-into-the-moon-and-see-what-happens experiment. Ahh, what cards they are, those lunar scientists.
But here’s the passage that really sticks in my mind:
The impact created by the LCROSS Centaur upper stage rocket created a two-part plume of material from the bottom of the crater. The first part was a high angle plume of vapor and fine dust and the second a lower angle ejecta curtain of heavier material. This material has not seen sunlight in billions of years.
“Billions of years”?! Holy man-sized safe, Batman — what else could be hidden under the surface of the moon that we earthlings have given up all hope of finding?
Some helpful suggestions of what NASA should look for, courtesy of the gang at the FDL water cooler:
- The Bush White House’s missing Plame emails
- A Republican health care reform plan
- Democratic politicians’ spines
- Saddam Hussein’s weapons of mass destruction
- The receipts for Sarah Palin’s Republican National Convention wardrobe
- The Obama “whitey” tapes
- Michael Steele’s “street cred”
- Chads from Florida ballots in the 2000 presidential election
Feel free to offer your own ideas in the comments.