The flood into the Blend mailbag has been fast and furious. Some links for you…
* Blender Linda (Orion45) found this great piece up at Change.org: “Is Homophobia More Prevalent than Racism? According to the British Psychological Society’s Division of Occupational Psychology, the answer is yes. Heaven help us, the LGBTs of color.
– 35 percent of those surveyed revealed negative attitudes toward gay men;
– 41 percent held prejudicial attitudes toward lesbians;
– 28 percent held negative attitudes toward Asians;
– 25 percent held negative attitudes toward Black populations;
– 18 percent held negative attitudes toward Southeast Asians
* The National Center for Transgender Equality seeks a Policy Analyst. Details in Quick Hits.
* These two anti-gay news items came from Lyndon Evans:
– The first from FOX9 in the Twin Cities about a fake Red Cross Blood Drive flyer which as the FOX9 reporter noted, The flyers go on to describe qualifications for donating blood, but at the end of the first paragraph, is a derogatory word aimed at homosexual men.
– The second story is from WSB-TV in Atlanta and reports on the assualt of a gay man Sunday evening in Midtown as he was walking to the MARTA station just a short distance from a gay bar. According to police he was beaten badly enough to be taken to the hospital. The victim told a friend that he was leaving the popular bar Blake’s when two men approached him and said hello. He said, ‘Hi,’ and then they asked him if he was gay. He said, ‘Yes,’ and that’s when he said they began punching and kicking him.
* Monica Helms has a TAVA update.
* Blender Gwen points to a Huff Post piece by Frank Schaffer, “Open Letter to the Republican Traitors (From a Former Republican).” How can you go wrong with this statement:
In the mid 1980s I left the Religious Right, after I realized just how very anti-American they are, (the theme I explore in my book Crazy For God). They wanted America to fail in order to prove they were right about America’s “moral decline.” Soon after McCain lost in 2000 I re-registered as an independent in disgust with W. Bush. But I still respected many Republicans. Not today. How can anyone who loves our country support the Republicans now?…With people like Limbaugh as the loudmouth image of the Republican Party — you need no enemies. But something far more serious has happened than an image problem: the Republican Party has become the party of obstruction at just the time when all Americans should be pulling together for the good of our country.
* As I reported in Quick Hits, West Virginia has launched its first statewide equality organization, FairnessWV. Surf over and take a look.
* From GayPolitics.com: Openly gay Iowa state Sen. Matt McCoy has introduced legislation that would make civil marriages in Iowa gender neutral.