jesus-holding-flag.thumbnail.jpgAccording to the the American Religious Identification Survey which queried over 54,000 people in the U.S., 15% of Americans have no religion, an almost 7% increase from in 1990. The number of Christians overall has decreased 10% since 1990  with Christians who aren’t Catholic a declining segment of the country: Over the last seven years, mainline Protestants dropped from just over 17 percent to 12.9 percent of the population. The survey also found that

Many mainline Protestant groups are riven by conflict over how they should interpret what the Bible says about gay relationships, salvation and other issues.

The number of religiously observant Jews has dropped, though the number of Mormons stayed steady, Muslims rose slightly and Buddhists dropped. There has been a slight increase in those identifying as members of non-mainstream/new religious movements like Wicca and santeria/African diasporic religions. 

Traditional organized religion seems to be playing less of part in people’s lives, as well, with 27 percent of respondents saying they did not want a religious funeral and 30% of married couples stating they did not have a religious wedding ceremony. 

There has been a rise in the influence churches that either don’t belong to a denomination or play down their membership in a religious group, while about 12 percent of respondents believe in a higher power but not the personal God at the core of monotheistic faiths.

Blessed be! See you at the UU ice cream social!

Lisa Derrick

Lisa Derrick

Los Angeles native, attended UC Berkeley and Loyola Marymount University before punk rock and logophilia overtook her life. Worked as nightclub columnist, pop culture journalist and was a Hollywood housewife before writing for and editing Sacred History Magazine. Then she discovered the thrill of politics. She also appears frequently on the Dave Fanning Show, one of Ireland's most popular radio broadcasts.

3 Comments