Hearing List for Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Today is the first of two House Agricultural committee hearings this week on the regulation financial derivatives. Michael Greenberger, who worked for Brooksley Born at the CFTC during the Clinton Administration and now teaches at the University of Maryland Law School, is scheduled to testify today. Greenberger was an excellent witness during hearings on oil speculation last year and given Born’s failed attempt to regulate OTC derivatives in the late ’90s I’m especially interested to hear what he has to say today. For some background see my diary, "Which Idiot Decided Not to Regulate Credit Default Swaps?"
Below is a list of today’s Congressional Committee hearings (or see complete list). Live streaming is expected at committee websites (see links below) and CSPAN (schedule). Direct realplayer links are: CSPAN, CSPAN-2, CSPAN-3, CSPAN Radio.
1 pm – House Agriculture
Hearing on reviewing derivatives legislation.
- Mr. Tom Buis, President, National Farmers Union, Washington, D.C.
- Mr. John Damgard, President, Futures Industry Association, Washington, D.C.
- Mr. Michael Greenberger, Law School Professor, University of Maryland School of Law, Baltimore, Maryland
- Mr. Michael A. Gooch, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, GFI Group Inc., New York, New York
- Mr. Sean Cota, President, Cota & Cota Inc., on behalf of Petroleum Marketers Association of America and New England Fuel Institute, Bellow Falls, Vermont
- Mr. Terrance A. Duffy, Executive Chairman, CME Group Inc., Chicago, Illinois
- Mr. Daniel J. Roth, President and Chief Executive Officer, National Futures Association, Chicago, Illinois
- Mr. Tyson Slocum, Director, Public Citizen’s Energy Program, Washington, D.C
2 pm – House Financial Services (cspan archive)
Hearing on promoting bank liquidity and lending through deposit insurance, and providing hope for homeowners.
- Mr. John Bovenzi, Deputy to the Chairman and Chief Operating Officer, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Ms. Meg Burns, Director of the Office of Single Family Program Development, U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Mr. Edward L. Yingling, President and Chief Executive Officer, American Bankers Association
- Mr. R. Michael S. Menzies, Sr., President and Chief Executive Officer, Easton Bank and Trust Company, on behalf of The Independent Community Bankers of America
- Mr. John Taylor, President and Chief Executive, National Community Reinvestment Coalition
- Mr. John A. Courson, President and Chief Executive Officer, Mortgage Bankers Association
- Mr. Michael Calhoun, President and Chief Operating Officer, Center for Responsible Lending
- Mrs. Robin Staudt
- Mr. Edward R. Morrison, Professor of Law, Columbia Law School
5 pm – House Rules
S. 352 – To postpone the DTV transition date
H. Res. ___ – Providing for consideration of the Senate amendment to H.R. 2 – Children’s Health Insurance Program Reauthorization Act.