|The $700 billion dollar bailout legislation will result in a huge expense to taxpayers — with all the benefits going to corporations and large stockholders. Most economists think that this plan will fail to address the underlying issues that caused the crisis. And there are many other issues for concern in the bill, such as whether the mechanism to prevent excess compensation will actually work in practice.
There’s no excuse for Congress to repeat the folly of the Patriot Act and pass half-baked legislation that creates huge problems for our country. Let’s send a mesasge to Congress: rather than allowing the decision to be driven by politics, false urgency from the Bush Administration, and Wall Street greed, we should take the time to have a full debate, making sure to include the input from economists AND consumer advocates … and make sure we’re not giving a blank check to Wall Street.
With a vote likely as soon as Monday, it’s critical to act now. Here’s how you can help.
If you’re on Facebook:
- Sign up as a fan and watch your “updates” for what’s next
- reply to the No blank check for Wall Street thread on Nancy Pelosi’s profile
- share this link with your Facebook friends, and ask them to reply — and to forward it to THEIR friends
If you’re not on Facebook:
- sign up for our annoucement email list and check your email for what’s next!
- email this information to your friends, and ask them to help
- phone or email your legislators and tell them how you feel