Late Night: Wingnut Crap of the Week
Wingnuts preen themselves on a lot of phony accomplishments, but nothing gets them prouder of their prissy little pissant asses more than the conceit that they are Citizen Journalists, slayers of the Demon MSM. Saviors of the Republic! This is a bunch of obnoxious bullshit. The MSM is a mess, but you’d have to be a total shithead to think, say, Glenn Reynolds provides any sort of satisfactory corrective.
A couple of days ago David Hazinski, a journalism professor or somesuch creature of credentialed institutional antecedents, wrote an op-ed in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution where he cast aspersions on the concept of "Citizen Journalism." It is in many ways a typical specimen of a typical genre: if it’s online, it’s crap! Marcy did the honors in disposing of this aspect of the article.
But that said. It’s not like Hazinski doesn’t have a point. Here:
It ranges from the CNN YouTube debates to political blogs to cellphone video of that sniper who opened fire at an Omaha Mall. These are all examples of so called "citizen journalism," the hot new extension of the news business where the audience becomes the reporter.
Supporters of "citizen journalism" argue it provides independent, accurate, reliable information that the traditional media don’t provide. While it has its place, the reality is it really isn’t journalism at all, and it opens up information flow to the strong probability of fraud and abuse.
Isolate that. Just look at it. The hard cold thing is that he’s right.
There are dozens of other stories that I’ve covered, that the old media ignored or reported incorrectly. Other bloggers discovered and reported on Dan Rather’s creative use of forged documents, Reuters’ staging photos in Beirut, AP’s repeated bogus reporting of incidents in Iraq, and The New Republic’s utter failure to fact check a series of stories. Let’s not forget the murders and rapes in the New Orleans Superdome that never happened. There’s lots more, frauds and mistakes by journalists, journalists that graduated from institutions like the one Professor Hazinski teaches at. Oh, yeah, Professor, that whole gay general YouTube thing. CNN set that up, not citizen journalists.
This shit is precisely the point. Wingnut Citizen Journalists are abusive frauds. Let’s go in order.
1. The Dan Rather affair. CBS got in deserved trouble for that — but are we really going to believe that the contribution of Greater Wingnuttia was in the service of The Truth? Please. The fact is, 95% of what the wingnuts contributed was imaginative bullshit about kerning and other crap they didn’t and don’t understand, and what was obscured? Bush’s undeniably \pathetic excuse for a war record. And they spouted this sewage, and then spread all that Swift Boat garbage? What a mob of frauds.
2. The Beirut photograph. Oh, fuck you.
3. The "AP in Iraq" allegations are contemtible. I was just discussing this, seems to me.
4. In the shadow of the Superdome/ Where the Saints of football play/ Is a city that the damned call home/ hear their Hellish rondelet…
5. The "Gay General"? Oh, bite me. How about the Shiavo memo hilarity?
The MSM has all sorts of problems, but none of these include their failure to take seriously the crazy horseshit imagined by Michelle Malkin.
And I will thank the fucking New York Times Opinionator dude not to conflate the left and right critiques of the "MSM." We want you to do your fucking jobs. They want you to blow them and ask for seconds.