Score one for Thorocracy
No, this one isn’t real. But this one is.
H. RES. 987
Recognizing the importance of Thursday and Thor, God of Thunder.
IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
December 12, 2007
Mr. BELVILLE of Oregon (for himself) submitted the following resolution; which was referred to the Committee on Foreign Affairs
Recognizing the importance of Thursday and the faith in Thor, God of Thunder.
Whereas Thursday, a weekday of great significance to Americans and many other cultures and nationalities, is celebrated weekly as “only one more day of this crap” by workers throughout the United States and the world;
Whereas there are approximately 43,000,000 Americans born on Thursday in the United States, making Thursday the birthdate of over one-seventh of the American population;
Whereas there are approximately 900,000,000 Thursday-born people throughout the world, making Thursday the third-favorite day in the world and the favorite day of about one-fifth of the world population;
Whereas followers of Thor, God of Thunder identify themselves as those who believe in the ancient oak of Geismar, sacred gathering place of Thor, God of Thunder, the Son of Odin, and who, out of respect for the mighty hammer Mjolnir, commit themselves to living their lives in accordance with the teachings of the Prose Edda;
Whereas Thor, God of Thunder and his followers have contributed greatly to the development of striking implements;
Whereas the United States, being founded as a constitutional republic in the traditions of western civilization, finds much in its architecture that points observers back to its use of various hammers;
Whereas on the fifth day of each calendar week, American followers of Thor, God of Thunder, observe Thursday, the weekday celebrating the reign of their warrior, Thor, God of Thunder;
Whereas for followers of Thor, Thursday is celebrated as a recognition of Thor’s conquest of frost giants, the Midgard Serpent, and Loki; and
Whereas many followers of Thor and non-followers throughout the United States and the rest of the world, celebrate Thursday as a time to prep for the weekend: Now, therefore be it
Resolved, That the House of Representatives–
(1) recognizes the faith in Thor, God of Thunder, as one of the great religions of the world;
(2) expresses continued support for followers of Thor in the United States and worldwide;
(3) acknowledges the international work week and historical importance of Thursday and Thor, God of Thunder;
(4) acknowledges and supports the role played by hammers and Thursday in the founding of the United States and in the formation of the western civilization;
(5) rejects bigotry and persecution directed against followers of Thor, God of Thunder, both in the United States and worldwide; and
(6) expresses its deepest respect to American followers of Thor, God of Thunder and throughout the world.