Gay folks looking for support for equality at any level really have no dog in this hunt, but it’s definitely the most colorful field, full of adulterers and hypocritical flip-floppers.
Feel free to comment about it in the thread if you’re tuning in.
It will be a battle of the fundie and faux-fundie titans at the Republican presidential debate tonight, which is sponsored by MSNBC and The Politico and begins at 8PM.
Top tier: Giuliani, McCain and Romney. Battle of the flip-flopping fundie-buttkissers will hopefully get called on their “evolution” on certain positions. [I want John McCain to be asked about his abominable statement today that lesbian and gay soldiers present “an intolerable risk to morale, cohesion and discipline.” I won’t hold my breath.]
Got no respect tier: Sen. Sam Brownback (Kansas), former governors Mike Huckabee of Arkansas, Tommy Thompson of Wisconsin and Jim Gilmore of Virginia, Reps. Ron Paul of Texas, Tom Tancredo of Colorado and Duncan Hunter of California. The latter two didn’t bother voting on the hate crimes bill today — I wonder why?
Unfortunately the colorful undeclared ones won’t be there: Fred Thompson (who’s polling higher than Romney) and Newt Gingrich.
For laughs, check out the Sizzlingly Inappropriate Republican Debate Hottie Rundown!
We should give them dunce cap ratings for performance.
UPDATE: It was a crappy debate. The main points
– McCain looked old, feeble and shaky.
– Tommy Thompson said it’s ok for employers to continue to have the right to fire gay employees (see the video),
– We’ve got at least three evolution deniers (Tancredo, Huckabee and Brownback) – here’s that video.
– The flip flopping continued — Mitt now thinks getting OBL is worth moving heaven and earth.
– All of them would like to see the repeal of Roe v. Wade.
– Everyone thought the running of the Iraq conflicted was FUBAR, but somehow no one pointed the finger directly at Bush The Decider — it was everyone else’s fault. Hey, it was the GOP Congress that gave him a blank check…