This and that
A few links that came my way…feel free to blogwhore, leave links, chat away…
* Jeremy of Good As You posts about CBS’s asshat filtering out of the word “gay” on its blogs. WTF?
* The gay-bashing victim in NYC has died. Michael Sandy, a 29-year-old black gay man, was beaten and chased into the path of an oncoming car on Sunday had been on a respirator in a coma. His family chose to remove him from life support. Three Brooklyn men have been charged in the attack. Keith Boykin announces that a rally is planned for Monday:
Black LGBT organizers and activists vowed to hold a rally on Monday to demand an end to hate violence in the city and to hold city leaders accountable. The rally is scheduled to take place at 5 p.m. on Monday at New York City Hall. The rally is being sponsored by People of Color In Crisis, the New York State Black Gay Network, Gay Men of African Descent, the New York City Anti-Violence Project and the National Black Justice Coalition.
* Kathy @ Birmingham Blues on Wesley Clark:
I had the opportunity to hear
Gen. Wesley Clark speak today.· He did a wonderful job, and I was thrilled when he started talking about equality of all people, regardless of….and had sexual orientation on his list.· He got huge applause from a bunch of business people in their suits and ties (and of course our table, where I was sitting with Patricia Todd and with nephew Zach).
This column by Cliff Kincaid of Accuracy in Media is a gold mine of information on the Mark Foley scandal. Note House Speaker Denny Hastert’s close friendship with (“outed”) homosexual Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-AZ) and the tragic effects of the GOP’s flirtation with ‘Log Cabin Republican’ homosexuality. Did you know that Hastert flew to Arizona to campaign for Rep.Kolbe against a conservative, pro-family Republican primary opponent? (Since then, Kolbe has announced his retirement from Congress.)
The Republican Party’s “Big Tent” strategy can never work: you can’t be pro-homosexuality and family-friendly at the same time. How ironic that a scandal arising in part from a “pro-family” party’s toleration of homosexuality (with the added baggage from its sordid cousin, pederasty) may bring down the GOP next month.
At Americans For Truth, we pledge to put principles over politics every time. God does not approve of Republican homosexuality anymore than the Democratic variety! Thanks for standing up unapologetically for the truth in your daily life.
* New Orleans now “Rats Paradise.” Argh! (H/t Paul):
Alligators have been dragged from abandoned swimming pools. Foxes had to be removed from the airport. Coyotes are stalking rabbits and nutria (a sort of countrified rat) in city streets. And armadillos are undermining air conditioning units.
In the year since Hurricane Katrina drove out many of the people of New Orleans, wild animals have been moving in. Some were blown in by the winds or redistributed by the floodwaters. Others were drawn by the piles of rotting garbage and by the shelter afforded by all the abandoned homes and tall weeds.
Marilyn Barbera said opossums are living under her home and in her garden, and one moved into her house, a white 1859 Greek Revival in the city’s Riverbend area. “It was about the size of a big cat and it just made itself at home,” she said.
* Warren of The Indigestible wrote an open letter to “Christians that’s a slam dunk.
* Piss-Poor Policing In San Francisco. A lawsuit against cops accused of gay-bashing moves forward. Paul sent along this comment:
Years ago in Seattle some friends and I were hassled by a cop because of our sexuality. We complained but the cops covered it up, saying that they “could not believe the witnesses, because they too were gay” and asserting that the cop in question, despite the fact that we had copied down both his badge and his vehicle license number, was in an entirely different part of town when the incident occured. Hope these folks have better luck, but I doubt it.
* Birds and bees may be gay: museum exhibition. This is sure to set the fundies off. (h/t Bill K, Mena):
The birds and the bees may be gay, according to the world’s first museum exhibition about homosexuality among animals. With documentation of gay or lesbian behavior among giraffes, penguins, parrots, beetles, whales and dozens of other creatures, the Oslo Natural History Museum concludes human homosexuality cannot be viewed as “unnatural.”
“We may have opinions on a lot of things, but one thing is clear — homosexuality is found throughout the animal kingdom, it is not against nature,” an exhibit statement said.
* AfterElton has a great interview with playwright Tony Kushner (Angels in America), and it has his take on Foley:
“Oh, great, thanks! It’s good for you [Foley] to take this moment to come out of the closet now that you have been revealed as a sexual predator…All this really does is that it reminds us over and over again that the closet is a horrendous place,” Kushner says of the Foley scandal. “People who really need psychological help don’t seek it. When you pathologize your entire sexual being, you are making it more likely that you aren’t going to openly seek the kind of psychological help that you actually need.”
* What is Republican Rep. Christopher Shays smoking — Abu Ghraib abuses were sex ring.
* A world gone insane. In Minnesota, black mothers are upset that a teacher read a book about a girl with lesbian parents, as part of diversity training curriculum called “Families All Matter.” The Cucking Stool has more.
* View the trailer for The History of the 101st Fighting Keyboarders.