Foley's power trip
More details about Foley’s predatory pick-up lines have turned up in today’s LA Times. A former page, who had a sexual encounter with Foley in 2000 (after he turned 21), has come forward to describe that incident, as well as lurid observations that power pervert Foley made about teen pages in IMs.
In the messages, Maf54 described how years earlier, he had looked to see whether the former page had an erection in his tight white pants while the then-teenager was working near the congressman. Maf54 also speculated about the sexual attributes of other males in the same page class, including the observation that one young man was “well hung.”
Foley knew exactly how to use his position to get what he wanted — and pursued the page, as he did with others, even after they left the program.
Foley’s flirtations made the young man feel important at a time when he was struggling with his emerging sexuality. “It seemed cool that he was taking an interest,” he said. “I knew he was gay, and he was attracted to me.”
After leaving the program, the former page began receiving messages from Foley. He is uncertain how Foley knew his college instant-message name, but assumed the congressman had access to a directory listing former pages’ whereabouts.
The exchanges quickly became provocative. In one 2000 message, Maf54 inquired about the length and direction of the youth’s erection.
…Foley was really two very different people: a legislator “really devoted to his cause,” and a sexual being.
The page also remarked that he was surprised it took so long for Foley to get busted for his activities, and that he had a well-known rep among the pages, earning the nickname “Triple F” — Florida Fag Foley.
He was allowed to abused his position of power for sexual gratification, operating unchecked in those two worlds of DC that I described in an earlier post.
The first is the one we read about in the MSM’s coverage of government — full of stuffed shirts, major egos and jockeying for power, with a lot of waste, fraud and abuse of the taxpayers’ money.
Then there is the other DC that appears when the sun sets — an over-sexed, bacchanalian, orgiastic hotbed of god-knows-what that we hear about in rumors and whispers (in blogs or in private emails). It occasionally peeps into public view when a major scandal erupts, and then the wagons eventually circle and the latter DC quickly “disappears” from public view.
I just walked into the room and CNN’s Late Edition is on, and the bleating GOP head defending Denny Hastert today is none other than anti-gay deputy GOP whip and Republican NC Congressman Patrick McHenry (10th district). BTW, that’s in the western part of my state, including the town of Mooresville, “home to several NASCAR teams and drivers including Dale Earnhardt, Jr.,” according to Patrick’s web site.
Catch up on Foleygate and the GOP closet:
* O’Donnell: what’s up with Hastert’s roomie/chief of staff?
* On the hit list of the fundies, the gay GOP continues to protect its closet
* Trouble in GOP House seats
* Mike discusses outing gay hypocrites on Tucker Carlson’s show
* Time for the GOP hole card to turn up
* You knew it wouldn’t take long for this to show up
* Watch Pat Buchanan play the NAMBLA card; UCC takes on Perkins
* Three more pages speak to ABC about Foley’s ‘approaches’
* Insane defenses
* Caption this – Tom Reynolds and Laura Bush
* Thursday AM Foley roundup
* Hastert: I’ll resign if it will help the GOP
* Gingrich: Dems’ sex scandals are worse / Drunk Foley showed up at page dorm
* The List
* Kirk Fordham’s the first to go
* dKos Cheers & Jeers on Foleygate
* Qs of the day – who’s going down/career advice for Foley
* Glenn’s on Foley fire…
* Wednesday AM Foley update
* How low can you go — Tom Reynolds hides behind children
* Foley’s attorney: he was molested by a priest as a child
* OK, enough. Hastert has to go NOW.
* Dear Leader speaks…
* Foley interrupted floor vote to have cybersex with page
* Page threatened, Foley still using AOL screen name
* Eating their own – Boehner drop kicks Hastert
* Tuesday AM Foley roundup
* More GOP family values: Foley aide tried to cut a deal with ABC’s Ross
* More info on Foley’s well-known predator rep among pages
* They knew about Foley in 2001
* There should not be silence
* GOP leadership: spinning for the election home stretch, but nowhere to run on Foley
* More Foleygate
* Foley blasted ‘vile’ Clinton in 1998 for his ‘sad sexual addiction’
* Resolution for ethics probe over Foley passes 410-0
* Denny Hastert must resign for doing nothing about Foley
* Foley drops out of re-election campaign
* What the heck was Mark Foley thinking?