Vermont teacher in trouble for 'liberal' quiz
(AP) — A high school teacher is facing questions from administrators after giving a vocabulary quiz that included digs at President Bush and the extreme right.
Bret Chenkin, a social studies and English teacher at Mount Anthony Union High School, said he gave the quiz to his students several months ago. The quiz asked students to pick the proper words to complete sentences.
One example: “I wish Bush would be (coherent, eschewed) for once during a speech, but there are theories that his everyday diction charms the below-average mind, hence insuring him Republican votes.” “Coherent” is the right answer.
Luckily, our crack team of researchers have discovered the rest of Mr. Chenkin’s sophomore English quiz:
2) “Lynne jumped in horror at the sight of the lump of extreme (girth, graft) hiding in the inner thight of Dick’s pants leg.”
3) “The level of Republican ethics in Washington these days is so (miniscule, macrobiotic) as to be undetectable.”
4) “The theory that the universe could not exist without the guiding force of a divine creator is known as (science, religion).”
5) “The idea that ‘we have to fight them over there wo we don’t have to fight them over here’ is valid if we assume that terrorists can’t (multitask, masticate).”
6) “Pat Robertson is to Christianity as George W. Bush is to (leadership, lackadaisical).”
7) “Pouring water on a bound, upside-down, blindfolded prisoner’s head to produce the terrorizing sensation of drowning in hopes of extracting sensitive information is known as (interrogation, torture).”
8) “When the rich white son of a rich former president is able to get into the Vietnam-era National Guard ahead of poor minority kids, and is able to get into Yale and Harvard Business school despite mediocre grades, and is able to get ahead in the business world through the help of daddy’s rich friends, and is able to become president through partisan vote rigging and court decisions, that is known as (affirmative action, dumb luck).”
9) “Condoleezza’s hair (steadfastly, stupefyingly) remained rigid and undisturbed by the light breeze.
10) “As a president, George W. Bush ranks as the most (corrupt, stupid, evil, deranged, sociopathic) ever.” (Note: choose all that apply).