How the world views the U.S.
It’s good to get a peek at how other countries view U.S. policies and actions. A great portal, Watching America, collects news about the U.S. written outside our borders. The site is the brainchild of Robin Koerner, a British entrepreneur, and Will Kern, who is a former editor of the International Herald Tribune.
The appeal of this site is that it presents English translations of foreign-language news sources that you cannot find anwhere else. Some current headlines:
* People’s Daily, China: U.S. ‘Looks for Enemies,’ Loses Friends in ‘Its Own Backyard’
* El Universal, Venezuela: Chavez Says Bush Left Summit, ‘With Tail Between His Legs’
* El Universo, Ecuador: In Spite of Bush …A Simple Voting Error?
“There is no need to confuse the twisted politics of Bush and Cheney with the positive ideals of America.â€?
* Corriere Della Serra, Italy: Italians Seek Extradition of 22 CIA Agents Charged in ‘Rendition’
* The Star, Jordan: Karen Hughes’ Mission ‘Rude,’ ‘Insensitive,’ ‘Tactless’
* Tunis Hebdo, Tunisia: Bush Hurtling Into Oblivion
* Azzaman, Iraq: Iraqis Say Life is Deteriorating; Americans Say Things Are Better
Surf over and support Watching America’s work.