This and that in the Blend mailbag
Things that came in from Blenders that you might want to check out…
* Glenn Greenwald has an interesting post up about the marriage amendment fight in Texas, Gay Groups Should Support a Ban on Divorce, and he tells me: “Lord knows that what we’ve been doing so far isn’t working. I really think a fundamental change in advocacy is needed (how could it be worse?), and it maybe that this would work.”
* Scott points to yet more insanity by the Family Research Council. Do these people ever quit? A snippet:
Pro-homosexual activists are fond of arguing that homosexuals are routinely the victims of employment-related “discrimination.” Such claims might be supported if research could demonstrate that homosexuals (like, for example, blacks or women) have lower incomes than the average worker, but such evidence has been hard to come by. In fact, some marketing studies have suggested that homosexuals actually have higher disposable incomes than heterosexuals.
* Reader Ryan pointed me to a Liberal Avenger post on wingnut, racist, idiotic, windbag on the Right, Michelle “I have a lot of respect for Ann Coulter” Malkin. Actually it’s about her ghostwriter husband Jesse, and boneheaded thoughts against safe-sex.
* Reader Jonathan found an interesting editorial maneuver on Sheryl Swoopes, the WNBA player that recently came out — Tech students differ in reaction to Swoopes’ announcement, lifestyle. He noticed something interesting about the distribution of the piece:
Later when I was looking on Nexis, I found the same article (slightly abbreviated) was sent to the U News national newswire with the headline “Students at Texas Tech support Swoopes’ coming out.” The content was the same, and the article clearly supports the claim that Texas Tech students supported her coming out. This certainly suggests the paper ran the same story with two headlines- one headline appealing to homophobic prejudice on campus at Texas Tech and the other appealing to more tolerant national attitudes.
* Blender Jeff B. has started up The Angry Gay — and he has plenty to be pissed about…
* Kelly, aka Gold Star Dyke, would like folks to check out and give feedback on her effort, The Lesbian Lifestyle.
* and you all MUST check out the latest bullsh*t emitting from Bill O’Lielly, courtesy of Media Matters. I really think he’s crossed over into Pat Robertson-unhinged territory.
Criticizing a ballot measure passed by 60 percent of San Francisco voters urging public high schools and colleges to prohibit on-campus military recruiting, Fox News host Bill O’Reilly declared on the November 8 broadcast of his nationally syndicated radio show, “[I]f Al Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we’re not going to do anything about it. We’re going to say, look, every other place in America is off-limits to you, except San Francisco.”