CommunityPam's House Blend

Wrong move: Pastor electrocuted during baptism

I know, this is unfortunate, but really — this is bizarre. The church is in Waco, TX.

A pastor performing a baptism was electrocuted inside his church Sunday morning after adjusting a nearby microphone while standing in water, a church employee said. The Rev. Kyle Lake, 33, was stepping into the baptistery as he reached out for the microphone, which produced an electric shock, said University Baptist Church community pastor Ben Dudley.

Water in a baptistery usually reaches above the waist, said Byron Weathersbee, interim university chaplain at Baylor University.

Lake was pronounced dead at Hillcrest Baptist Medical Center, nursing supervisor Pat Mahl said. The woman being baptized apparently had not stepped into the water and was not seriously injured.

Pastors at University Baptist Church routinely use a microphone during baptisms, said Jamie Dudley, the wife of Ben Dudley and a business administrator at the church. “He was grabbing the microphone so everyone could hear,” she said. “It’s the only way you can be loud enough.”

Previous post

Next post

Sex=death and that's all teens need to know

Pam Spaulding

Pam Spaulding