Good clicks from Blenders
Here are some items to check out…
* From Holly — Some Papers Pull, Edit ‘Doonesbury’ Strip. Guess Bush’s pet name for Rove, Turd Blossom, was somehow offensive to the sensitive editors of papers? Click to enlarge.
Lee Salem, editor at Kansas City-based Universal Press Syndicate, which distributes the strip to 1,400 papers, said the complaints from 10 to 12 newspapers weren’t unexpected. As opposed to other times when editors have objected to Doonesbury content, the syndicate did not send out replacement strips.
“Given the coverage of Karl Rove, we thought it was appropriate, especially given the history of the strip,” Salem said.
* Ms. Julien is impressed by some enlightened Hoosiers writing in to the Indianapolis Star. One who “gets” that Rove is a criminal; another calling for the Toad’s resignation; and another that cries “Don’t protect Karl Rove with a shield law.” Folks in that Red State are getting restless, Chimpy…
* Blender Patrick passed on one of Santorum’s ass-hat remarks and a link to a study that completely dismisses the insanity. The comment is from Ricky’s new book, It Takes A Family:
“The notion that college education is a cost-effective way to help poor, low-skill, unmarried mothers with high school diplomas or GEDs move up the economic ladder is just wrong.”
Steven P. Martin, Ph.D., a professor of sociology at The University of Maryland-College Park who just released a monumental study of divorce, the divorce rate is directly correlated to a lack of education, especially among women.
“However, contrary to the arguments put forward by Mr. Dobson and others, the divorce rate is not increasing due to the demand by gays for marital rights. The culprit appears to be far less sinister, and much more pervasive. According to Steven P. Martin, Ph.D., a professor of sociology at The University of Maryland-College Park who just released a monumental study of divorce, the divorce rate is directly correlated to a lack of education, especially among women.”
Patrick notes, “Well guess someone should send him Dr. Martin’s research. Oh forget they use real methods of research.
* Richard at All Spin Zone is on a campaign to get Headline News’ Nancy Grace to cover missing persons other than Natalee Holloway (Missing Pregnant 25 YO Mother Alert [Non-White Division]). A fundraising drive is here.
Latoyia Figueroa is still missing after 8 days. And as tragic as the Natalee Holloway case might be, Natalee doesn’t have a seven year old child wondering where she is, nor was Natalee (to the best of our knowledge) 5 months pregnant.
* Paul points to this horror: Members of a California battalion in Iraq are under investigation for alleged abuse of detainees and extortion of merchants.
“Members of the battalion caused a stir last year when several were quoted in a Times story expressing concerns that their training was poor and inadequate. Some soldiers in the battalion blame its current woes on their allegedly poor training.”
“This is a battalion that is just rotting,” one (battalion member) said. “There is no trust in each other. There is no confidence in leadership.”
* Bonus points to Paul for finding this unhinged story: Bin Laden Cocaine Plot Fell Through. The breathless Fox coverage is as amusing as the thought of this plot:
Usama bin Laden tried to buy a massive amount of cocaine, spike it with poison and sell it in the United States, hoping to kill thousands of Americans one year after the Sept. 11 attacks, The Post has learned.
The evil plot failed when the Colombian drug lords bin Laden approached decided it would be bad for their business â€” and, possibly, for their own health, according to law-enforcement sources familiar with the Drug Enforcement Administration’s probe of the aborted transaction. Sources said the feds were told that bin Laden personally met with leaders of a Colombian drug cartel to in 2002 to negotiate the purchase of tons of cocaine, saying that he was willing to spend tens of millions of dollars to finance the deal.
Bin Laden hoped that large numbers of Americans dying from poisoned coke would lead to widespread terror.