This week's I'm not sh*tting you post
I came across this article on wingnut AgapePress, but as you will see below, it lead me to another web site that, well, it’s un-f*cking believable.
The executive director of a Christian medical organization says a bill designed to legalize assisted suicide in California advances state secrecy. AB 654 would allow doctors to give “terminally ill” patients lethal doses of drugs to end their lives — if they request it. The measure is opposed by many physician groups and medical ethicists, among them Dr. David Stevens of the Christian Medical Association. “The truth is that this bill establishes a dangerous right to privacy for the government,” Stevens says. “As in Oregon [where physician-assisted suicide is legal], the California assisted-suicide bill includes a state secrecy clause that prevents the public, the media, or watchdog groups from reviewing the evidence.” According to the text of the bill, information collected about assisted suicides would not be part of the public record, but that an “annual statistical report” will be available for public scrutiny.
Stevens’ organization, the Christian Medical and Dental Association web site is chock full of intellectual and medical disconnect. CMDA has guiding principles that sound like something out of the Falwell/Dobson handbook. Be very scared if you go to a doctor in this association. It has a whole page on its views of homosexuality, divided neatly into Biblical, Medical and Social categories, along with conclusions on how the pious Christian doctor should approach the homosexual patient. I want to share a snippet from the Medical section, since one must assume these bits are based on science, right?
* The causes of same-sex attraction appear to be multi-factorial and may include developmental, psychosocial, environmental and biological factors. There is no credible evidence at this time that same-sex attraction is genetically determined.
* Acting on homosexual attraction is voluntary. Claims of genetic or environmental determinism do not relieve individuals of moral responsibility for their sexual behavior.
* Homosexual behavior can be changed. There is valid evidence that many individuals who desired to abstain from homosexual acts have been able to do so.
* Some homosexual acts are physically harmful because they disregard normal human anatomy and function. These acts are associated with increased risks of tissue injury, organ malfunction, and infectious diseases. These and other factors result in a significantly shortened life expectancy.
* Among those involved in homosexual acts, there is an increased incidence of drug and/or alcohol dependence, compulsive sexual behavior, anxiety, depression, and suicide.
Moving on to the section “The Non-Traditional Family and Adoption or Use of Reproductive Technologies,” I begin to become unglued. I cannot believe that this is being written by physicians. WTF is this?
In spite of proliferating alternative definitions of the family, CMDA supports the Biblical model of the traditional family–an exclusive, committed, lifelong union of a man and woman living in an integral loving relationship with or without biological or adopted children.* Most current scientific studies** affirm that the Biblical model provides the optimal environment for the health of children, family, and society.
…Adoption is an act of love that provides a beneficial environment for a child and reflects God’s act of love in adopting us into His family. CMDA enthusiastically encourages and supports adoption of children or frozen embryos into the traditional family. In addition, there may be circumstances in which a single person***, while not meeting the optimal Biblical model of the family, might adopt a child and provide a loving and nurturing environment that would outweigh the potential difficulties inherent in this situation. CMDA does not support adoption into family models other than these.
Advancements in reproductive technology have likewise created complex ethical issues. CMDA believes it is morally inappropriate to use reproductive technologies**** to produce children outside the boundaries of the traditional Biblical family model.
*The following alternative family forms do not meet this Biblical model: Same-sex couples, Domestic partners, Polygamy, Polyandry, Incestuous unions, Open marriages, and the like.
** See Annotations. See Standards for Life – Annotations for Homosexuality Statement
***A single person living according to Biblical standards. See Standards for Life: Human Sexuality, and Homosexuality
Oh, I couldn’t take any more of this bullsh*t.