Newsweek‘s “How He Did It” election issue’s coming out. It’s another slap to the face of gays, this time by Good Old Bill Clinton, in what might best be described as advising Kerry to do a “Sister Souljah” on us.
Clinton Advice Spurned. Looking for a way to pick up swing voters in the Red States, former President Bill Clinton, in a phone call with Kerry, urged the Senator to back local bans on gay marriage. Kerry respectfully listened, then told his aides, “I’m not going to ever do that.”
Yeah, all the centrists are willing to toss gays overboard to get a Dem elected. Thanks, Bill; at least Kerry had a line he was not willing to cross.
I’m still getting flack about gays being the cause of Kerry’s defeat. I’ll explain it again to some of the more simple-minded (read S-L-O-W-L-Y, you people). We didn’t push any of the amendments. Folks in Massachusetts decided they were ready to tolerate gay marriage. So f*cking what. Meanwhile…
* I can still legally get fired from a job for being gay
* a transgender person can most certainly get the crap beaten out of them or worse in many parts of the country
* gays cannot adopt in many places
* gay couples in several states now cannot form private legal agreements and health care POA because of state super-DOMAs
* gay people cannot legally serve their country (not as if any of us will be running down to serve in Shrub’s immoral war anytime soon; I expect a rash of gay declarations if there is a draft, too).
Being gay and lacking civil rights is about more than achieving civil marriage rights. KE04 chose not to redirect the “morality play” of any of the above arguments back to the Right in order to condemn their intolerance. That’s the real failure.