The coffee’s freshly ground, there’s a wide variety of teas and the sticky buns are homemade.
- “The words ‘Spain’ and ‘contagion’ have already made history together. Spanish flu spread around the world in the early 1900s. The pandemic didn’t begin in Spain, but it was there that the world realized how serious — and unstoppable — the outbreak had become. Now, as Spain takes up a central position in Europe’s economic crisis, the analogy is clear.”
- “Spain has threatened retaliation against Argentina over the forced nationalisation of oil firm YPF, raising the prospects of a trade war between the nations.”
- “Thousands of rural workers in Honduras have occupied land as part of a dispute with large landowners and the government.”
- “A leading figure in Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, who has been barred from standing as president, has said that progress towards democracy there is in danger. Khairat al-Shater told the BBC that he feared the possibility of a rigged election.”
- TRNN: “Doha Debates on Women’s Rights After Arab Revolutions. This House believes women will be worse off after the Arab revolutions.” (47 min)
- “The blueprint for the West’s exit strategy for the long war in Afghanistan is being set out in a critical meeting, with military officials and diplomats battling to prevent a proposed depletion of Afghan forces while the security situation remains precarious.”
- “A 474-year-old painting stolen by Nazis during World War II has been returned to the heirs of its Paris-based Italian Jewish owner.”
- “Mexican police say they have seized more than 250,000 bullets that were being smuggled into the country from the US.” That’s enough ammo for 8,333 30-round magazines with a hand-full left over.
- “What could your not for profit organization, community or arts group, labor union, school, or local church do with its own fully operational low power FM radio station? This is not a rhetorical question, it’s a very practical one.”
- “Public Education a National Security Threat? Advocates question calls for increasing testing and privatization in the name of national defense.”
- “Inequality and Instability. James K. Galbraith presents his study of the world economy just before the great crisis.”
The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off.