We Have Cochran Amendment
Those voting "nay":
Kennedy, E. (MA)
Here it is:
At the appropriate place, insert the following:
SEC. __. SENSE OF THE SENATE ON FUNDING FOR OPERATION IRAQI FREEDOM AND OPERATION ENDURING FREEDOM.
(a) Findings.–The Senate makes the following findings:
(1) The President is the commander in chief of the United States Armed Forces.
(2) The United States Armed Forces are currently engaged in military operations in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom on behalf of the national security interests of the United States.
(3) The funds previously appropriated to continue military operations in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom are depleted.
(4) The President requested more than 100 days ago supplemental appropriations to continue funding for Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom.
(5) Congress has not passed a supplemental appropriations bill to continue funding for Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom in a manner that the commander in chief believes gives the United States Armed Forces and the Iraqi people the best chance to succeed at establishing a safe, stable, and sustainable democracy in Iraq.
(6) A supplemental appropriations request to fund ongoing combat operations in Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom should remain focused on the war effort by providing the resources necessary for United States troops abroad and in the United States.
(b) Sense of the Senate.–It is the sense of the Senate that Congress should send legislation to the President providing appropriations for Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom in a manner that the President can sign into law by not later than May 28, 2007.
According to Mitch McConnell today:
Q: What is the status of negotiations on the supplemental?
McConnell: Reid and I agreed to get the supplemental done before Memorial Day, and that includes a presidential signature.
There you have it. Memorial Day. I guess some benchmarks were met after all.